Ch. 5 There's Always a Someone

Unedited

The night was a silent one, with vibrant stars illuminating the sky. There was barely any clouds and there was no wind, the night completely still. Gray and Lucy walked side by side, the silence quickly becoming tension.

"Ahem," Gray cleared his throat before continuing, "are you mad at me?"

Lucy shook her head and stared off to her right, gazing at the nearby trees.

"Um, I'm going to take that as a yes."

Lucy glared at him as they walked along the path. Gray had suggested they walked together and she agreed, but was suspicious of what Gray really wanted to do. "It's hard to not be mad when your friend goes through your stuff." Lucy said, facing forward.

"Friend.." Gray muttered.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," He said while shaking his head. "It's just, I don't know, I was suspicious."

"Suspicious?" She shot at him.

"May you know that I wasn't the only one. Natsu was worried too,"

"Oh so that's how you got in my house. I should have known." Lucy said with exaggerating hand gestures.

"Yeah. Look, I'm sorry Lucy." He stopped walking and faced her. She stopped a few steps in front and turned around to face him. "Its just I'm worried." He inched closer to her.

"Why would you be worried?" She asked, the tone of anger washing away.

"After what happened two weeks ago, who wouldn't be?" She turned around to walk away, but Gray stopped her by grabbing at her wrist. She swatted him away.

"No, I'm sick of you people thinking I'm so weak! I know I might not be at your guys caliber, but I am tring my hardest to get there." She said, holding tears back.

Gray hadn't meant for things to go this way, but they did anyway. "No, Lucy I didn't mean it that way." He attempted to grab her, but she walked away. She was almost running down the path, with Gray by her side. "You know I can run with you all day."

"But its nighttime." She stuck her toungue out at him and started running faster down the path.

Gray was right behind her attempting to catch her. "You can't catch me!" She giggled, as if she wasn't angry a few moments ago. Dismissing her anger completely, he chuckled and ran faster, tackling her to ground. They tumbled through the grass and Lucy landed right on top of him. He had his hands by his side, careful not to touch anything.

"Gray.." She muttered, taking her gaze off of him. Awkward. She stood up and patted her skirt down. Gray, a little dazed, stood up and swatted away the dirt that was on his pants.

"Sorry about that, I got carried away." He said while starting to walk back towards the path. He had his head up, staring at the sky. Its amazing the difference between him and Natsu. She shook her head and smiled at him. "It's okay."

He nodded and they both started walking. The moon was illuminating the path really bright. The trees surrounding them gave off long, dark shadows. As they were walking in a silence for a few minutes, the leaves started to pick up into the air creating a whirlwind. The whirlwind got bigger and bigger turning into a column of air. The air stopped and a person hopped down from where the whirlwind ended. It was wearing a long black cloak with a hood covering its face.

Gray tensed up, and Lucy got closer to him. "Well well well. Just my luck, I stumbled upon some fairies." The person chuckled and stepped closer.

"Who the hell are you? And how do you now we're from Fairy Tail?" Gray demmanded his fists bunching up at his sides.

"You have no shirt on buddy, dead giveaway." Gray yelped and looked down reling he indeed had no shirt on. He lookedback with a glare, his srms folded across his chest. "As for who I am, I can't tell you that. That takes away the fun." The person chuckled and brought up his hand and shot a column of air right at Gray. Gray dodged and shot back at him. "Ice make: Lance!"

The other person dodged into the air but it's hood fell off to reveal the person's face. It was a man's face around his late twenties with long black hair and red eyes.

"Just who in the hell are you?!"

"Why do you care iceboy, but trust me, this won't be the last time you'll see me!" Air blasts from every direction. As sudden as it all happened the man was gone.

"Just what in the hell was that!?" Gray yelled. Lucy stood next to him. "Natsu always gets the cool fights! And I get this stupid encounter that didn't even last a minute!"

She put her hand on his shoulder. She was trying hard not to giggle at his tantrum . "I don't know Gray, but calm down." He turned to face her and just stared at her.

"I know, I just can't help it. That bastard." Lucy sighed and started walking down the path again with Gray right behind her. They walked in silence the night turning darker and more clouds filling up the sky.

Once they reached the town, Lucy picked up her pace. "Hey man, rushing much?" He asked.

"I just want to get home. It's been a long day." She slightly glared at him. Once they reached the river, she went to her habit of walking on the ledge. "You don't have to take me all the way you know." She told him.

"Are you sure? You're like this close to falling in the river." he made a hand gesture. "Besides I have no where to go."

"Your homeless now?"

"No its just boring there. It sucks sometimes you know, not having anyone sometimes." She stepped off the ledge to walk beside him. Looking up to his face she saw this conversation was turning really serious and pretty personal.

"I suppose it's how you look at it. You have lots of friends." She wasn't sure how to respond so she went with what she thought was safest.

"Sometimes friendship isn't enough Lucy." He stared up into the sky.

"Well, what about Juvia?" She feared she ruined the conversation.

He slightly groaned. "It's a bit complicated you know. Man this got intense fast."

"I'm sorry for brining it up, you're probably tired hearing about it. And yeah huh? We've never really talked like this have we?" She lightly chuckled at the thought.

"No we haven't, you can never have a really serious moment in Fairy Tail though." They both started laughing.

"Well, we're here." He told her. He walked up the steps and opened the door for her. "I'll see you later Lucy." She said goodbye and walked in, thinking what a day it has been.