Chapter 17

The little bell dings when we open the door. I look around hoping that maybe Ryley or Chester were here but no such luck. I sigh, how was I going to get out of here? Sure, Jared is great but I have to leave, I'm determined to be free of this alpha. The time in the car ride helped me think it over. I caved and I was paying the price, he was just so sweet and kind. My heart was thumping erratically and painfully at the thought of separating myself from him. I wince and try to concentrate on finding a table. Being in a pack isn't me. This life isn't me and I need to be rid of it. As much as it will hurt to leave, its for the best. Should I just reject him?

NO! Phoebe roars in my head. I clutch at my temples and put pressure on them as if that some how blocks her out. The idea is quickly thrown out the window.

I would like to say I haven't developed feelings for him but it would be a lie. I frown at myself. I've known him for what a week? And even then I've talked to him twice maybe? What is wrong with me? I'm such a weirdo, known the guy a week and already I can't detach myself from his side. I look at him and feel my heart clench. He is mine. I growl.

I shake my head snapping myself out of it. I frown at my thoughts. No he's not. She can have him. I think looking at the girl behind the counter.

No she can't. A small voice snarls only after did I realise it wasn't Phoebe but me. I gulp, was that really how I felt?

We join the queue, my hand enclosed in his. I sigh, it feels so right. His large hand completely covers mine and I always thought I had massive man hands. It was delightful. Tingles were shooting up my arm from the small contact. I look for an excuse to pull my hand from his, I was getting too comfortable. Tugging it away I grab a ham and cheese sandwich and a bottle of coke. He smiles at me.

"Are you getting that toasted?" His deep voice made my insides melt and my knees grow weak. I give him a sharp nod and his smile gets bigger.

I sigh looking about still searching for an escape route or someone I know. When we finally get to the front of the queue, I put my stuff on the counter letting the lady scan it watching her, all the while ignoring Jared whilst he orders something for himself. A tea-cake maybe? I don't know, I block out his words.

I feel my anger rising when I see the flirty look on the women's face. Only after I release I quiet growl, so low only Jared and I can hear it, do I notice that the look is directed at me. He looks at me a little shocked before continuing to talk. I give her a small smile and wink when Jared hands the correct money over. She winks back, uses the bottle opener to pop the lid of my coke before sliding us a tray across the counter with his coffee thing, my coke and a glass on it.

He picks it up and finds us a table near the back. I follow behind him in a little daze going back to working on an escape. I may as well run out the door, you know, keep it simple.

We don't talk he just stares at me, engrossed. He is looking at me so intently I shift uncomfortably and wipe my mouth incase I have something on my face. Welcoming the distraction I look up at the girl bringing us our food. She was the one who served us earlier. I beam at her and she blushes quickly giving us our plates. I moan when the smell of my toasty hits me.

I take my food and stuff it into my mouth. It burns so bad that I can't taste it, my tastebuds are so hot that I can't work out what I'm eating. It could be a brain squished between two pieces of bread, but I don't care. I continue shovelling the sandwich down until my hand hit the slightly warm plate. I look down in annoyance and confirm that my plate was in fact empty.

"I'm going to the toilets." I state emotionlessly, abruptly pushing myself up from the table I head towards them. I don't give him a chance to reply but I see his head move slightly from the corner of my eye.