CHAPTER 17: Need Help Part I [✔]

Start from the beginning

“No way!” Nathan protested.

“Don’t worry, guys. I have some clothes to lend her. Come on, Nat. I’ll go with you.”

          I just nodded to Becca, even though I know that something is wrong. We left Nathan and Scott at the Cafeteria, while the both of us walked towards the locker room.

          When we arrived at the locker area, Becca got some of her spare clothes to lend me, before allowing me to change in the comfort room. As I put them on, I realized that maybe there’s nothing I should be worry about. Maybe all of this was just an act of concern for a friend.

          Or so I thought. Because as I stepped out of the comfort room, Becca is still standing right there, her hands in front of her chest.

“We need to talk,” she started.

“Sure... Come and let’s include Scott and Nathan.”

          I was about to leave when she pulled my arms, making me stop from walking and getting away.

“Sorry... But I wanted to talk to you alone... Just the two of us, Natalia.”

“Oh... Sure. What is it?” I asked.

“I like Nathan.”

          I wasn’t surprised by her sudden confession anymore. That was obviously a fact, and I’m just waiting for some confirmation to make sure about that. And now I’m finally getting it. It feels like reality is slapping it hardly on my face.

“You don’t look surprised,” she stated.

“It was obvious.”

“Then why, Nat? Why do you keep on getting near him?” she asked melancholically, and I felt guilty.

“He’s my bestfriend, Becca. I can’t dumped him just like that...”

“You’re not dumping him, Nat. I’m just asking you for some space... Please, as a friend...”

           I looked down, thinking for a moment. When I didn’t answer, she reached for my hand and held it.

“Please, Natalia? I need your help... Badly. Please help me get close to Nathan. I like him... So much.”

“Becca...”

“I don’t want to ruin our friendship. I just really wanted to be with him... Can I trust you with this, Natalia Carter? My first friend?”

             Can I really sacrifice my own happiness for my friend? Well, she’s right. I’m her first friend... And she’d been there for me when Nathan isn’t here and she helped me a lot every time that I needed her... I guess it wouldn’t hurt anyone if I did help her.

“Sure, Becca. I’ll help you,” I promised.

          Her face lit up, before hugging me tightly. It felt nice, seeing her smile once in a while. When she pulled away, I smile towards her and she did the same.

“So, what do you want me to do then, Becca?”

“I know that maybe asking this is a little bit too much but... I will say it just this once. I wanted to be Nathan’s partner for our school festival.”

        I blinked several times, trying to process in my mind what she’d just said. I mean, that was too much, yeah... But I guess dancing is not really for me. But that doesn’t keep me from asking her some more questions to satisfy my curiosity.

“I thought you don’t want to be a part of that dance anymore?”

“Yeah... Because I don’t have a partner. But if you’ll give up your position to me, then I’ll gladly take it.”

“Is that the reason why you refused Scott’s offer?”

“Yeah. Scott is nice... Though I really like Nathan. So please, Natalia... Please...”

“I-I...” I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

“I know that Nathan will be devastated if he finds out about this... But you don’t have to tell him this instance. You can still practice with him during the afternoon period. I’ll just rehearse at home. Then when it’s finally the day of our school dance festival, you can back out.”

“B-Back out?” I asked unbelievably.

“Yeah. You know, like, you can reason out to our instructor so that he will let me joined in to fill you place...”

          I know that Nathan wouldn’t like this idea. But if he doesn’t know that we are doing this on purpose, then maybe he won’t be mad at all. I just need to sacrifice myself for now.

“Sure then, I’ll do it.”

           She pouted, before giving me another hug. It was tight, and I almost loose my breath.

“Thank you so much, Natalia. I owe you one.”

         She clung her hands onto my arm before we walked back towards the Cafeteria where the boys are waiting for us. I tried to smile, forcing myself to be happy for her by doing this favor. I guess that I learned another lesson for today... Another rule for my manual. And that is rule number twenty one... Learn to sacrifice yourself and give way to others.