Chapter Forty - Dane

Dane ~

It was only 8pm, but I was fucking beat. I had been at the club moving money for the families, trying to up the pay of Tysons men to ensure their loyalty.

My feet were heavy as I walked up the steps and entered the house, passing at least six armed guards on my way inside.

I expected to hear Kinsleys voice or see her when I walked in, but she was nowhere to be found and the house was quiet. No, not quiet...silent.

"Kins?" I called out, but got no response.

Maybe she's painting with her headphones on.

I headed to the studio that we had created for her, but it was empty.

"Kinsley!" I yelled a little louder as fear started to wrap around my spine.

She always greets me at the door.

My feet carried me from room to room looking for any sign of her. She wasn't in either of our beds, she wasn't painting or watching a movie, she had strict instructions not to go outside...where the hell was she?

My throat started to close and my pulse picked up as I frantically searched for her, fearing the absolute worst had happened.

I hurried down the hall heading toward the basement to find Tyson when I noticed Kinsleys bedroom door was cracked slightly.

She never goes in there.

Pushing the door open, I scanned the room only to find Tyson and Kinsley sleeping soundly beneath the plush comforter.

Holy shit he got her to sleep.

Tyson's body completely engulfed Kinsley's with their bodies rising and falling in unison as they slept.

I sat down in a chair and let out a sigh of relief, watching the two most important people in my life sleeping peacefully, grateful that they were able to get the rest they both desperately needed.

Unable to bring myself to wake them, I leaned back in the chair, letting my muscles unwind when my phone started to ring. I quickly grabbed and silenced it, but Tyson's phone rang loudly as well.

Tyson's hand reached across Kinsley, snatching his phone off the nightstand as I stood and answered my phone, stepping out of the room.

Adriana? Why is Adriana calling me?

"Hello?"

"Dane!" Adriana wailed into the phone loudly.

"What's wrong?" I asked with panic in my voice.

"Gia! They sh-shot Gia!" She sobbed frantically.

Oh my God, no.

Adriana's aunt, Gia, was one of the sweetest women I'd ever met and had been nothing but kind to Kinsley when she commissioned paintings from her.

"What happened?" I asked, hearing Tyson's angry voice booming from down the hall, knowing he was receiving the same news.

"She and Lorenzo were out to dinner, waiting at the valet stand and someone shot at them! They couldn't save her, Dane. They couldn't save her!" Adriana was hysterical and I had tears stinging my eyes at the thought of Gia's children having to grow up without their mother.

"Oh my God." She sobbed. "When is this going to end?"

I watched Tyson storm out of Kinsleys bedroom with a lethal expression as he headed for the basement.