Chapter Thirty-two, in which Kelvin talks to his brother

"How in the world are we going to find Ivor in this mess?" Olwyn asked, gesticulating vaguely downward at the sea of blue-clad Aranthian soldiers and green-clad Everwinter soldiers completely intermixed and swarming in a chaotic melee through the thin streets and alleys of southern Aranthopolis.

Kelvin sighed and shook his head. "Good question," he said, "if only we had Skeena's Imp thing."

"Still thinking about that? Let's just try and find somewhere to land," said Olwyn.

"Would it be better to land in a blue area or a green area? We look like we're from Everwinter but all these dragon tribesmen seem to be on team Aranthopolis."

"Kelvin, it really doesn't matter if they're going to be friendly to us or not, we have an actual dragon."

"Alright," said Kelvin, "I'll land in the university green since I know the area and there seems to be a good mix of both sides." He turned to Big Blue, "let's go down there now, buddy..." he waved his little scrap of saltbush and another one of its limp leaves fluttered away in the wind.

Big Blue snorted.

"Uh oh," said Olwyn.

"Come on scaly-boy," said Kelvin.

"What if you addressed him more nicely?" Olwyn asked.

"May we go down, my good sir?" Kelvin asked, giving the saltbush one more gentle shake.

Big Blue wiggled his spines and began to circle downward. As they neared the ground the soldiers all began to run away as usual. "Wait, Everwinter soldiers, stop running away, it's us!" shouted Olwyn.

One green-clad soldier paused. "Agent Olwyn? And Mr. Kelvin? What are you doing on a dragon."

"It's Professor Kelvin," Kelvin mumbled.

"Long story," said Olwyn. "Where is Ivor?"

"He's on the front line somewhere, probably west," said the soldier. All of the Aranthian soldiers had cleared out of the university green since it had become clear Big Blue wasn't obviously on their side. There were a few other Everwinter soldiers still gathered around the one Kelvin and Olwyn were talking to.

"West?" said Kelvin, "that's through the slums, too tight for Big Blue."

"We'll have to leave him here. That seems like a bad idea but, what else can we do? We're not going to find Ivor from the sky."

"Hey soldier, you seem trustworthy," Kelvin said to the soldier they had been talking to. "Make sure Big Blue stays here and doesn't burn anyone or anything important." He dismounted and tossed the soldier his saltbush. "Don't lose that," he added.

Olwyn swung off Big Blue and landed behind Kelvin and drew her sword. "Let's go," she said, and the two of them started west down a street.

Although battle was everywhere, the going was not too hard for Kelvin and Olwyn. They were still clearly high ranking and from Everwinter and the green-clad soldiers they encountered were quite helpful in both shielding them from unhelpful Aranthian attacks and giving them suggestions for where Ivor might be.

In not too long they rounded a corner and, sure enough, there was Ivor, slashing his way down an alley with his claymore. When he noticed Kelvin and Olwyn he smiled, dispatched his nearest opponent, and jogged over. "Kelvin, and Olwyn too. What a pleasant surprise! Things are not going too well over here. Prince Nikolai's soldiers seem to be working together with Lady Rossanna's." He looked worried.

"Yes, Queen Phoebe has returned to the city and the Aranthians have united. We know because we brought her back to the city ourselves. It's time for you to surrender," Kelvin said.