Chapter One, in which the problem is explained

Tamara returned to Aranthopolis and rode straight to the barracks of the Flaming Swords just as the sun was setting. She swung down from her horse. Her boots crunched in the frost on the ground. Pairs of warriors were scattered around, their swinging swords filling the courtyard with wheels of flame. A little girl darted between them and came to stand by Tamara.

"Where did you go on your mission this time, Tamara?" panted the girl.

"Hi, Trina," said Tamara. "I went to Fort Yaron. They trade with Castle Lunarlen. I got some interesting fruit there. You can have one." She rummaged through her saddle bags and pulled out an orange. "Try it."

"Thanks, Tamara," said the little girl. "By the way, General Gertrude wants to see you."

Tamara frowned. "What for? I just got back."

"Dunno."

Tamara pulled her saddlebags off of her horse and swung them onto her back. "Trina, would you take care of my horse for me?"

"Sure, Tamara."

General Gertrude's office was at the top of the short, squat tower at the front of the barracks. Most of the heat in the winter came from the pair of flaming swords mounted on the wall behind her desk.

"You wanted to see me?" said Tamara.

"Oh, hello Tamara, how was your trip?" asked General Gertrude.

"Firanora's gaining support among the people in Yaron. She's been holding rallies. They had a bit of a famine last year, and there were some excesses among the nobles... Anyway, they had me capture a couple people who have been burning buildings in her name."

"Is the Duchess of Fort Yaron worried?"

"Most of the people aren't that radical. She's been keeping order, for now at least."

Gertrude sighed. "The Queen sent me a secret letter telling me to send my best warrior to the palace tonight. I wonder if the situation has something to do with Fort Yaron."

"Did she say anything else?" said Tamara, and rested her hand on the hilt of her zirconium fire sword. It began to warm at her touch.

"No."

"Well, I can be ready to go in about fifteen minutes. I just need to get my sword sharpened."

"I would bring the pyro blade and the ember darts, too. I think this is big. Take care, Tamara."

"Thanks."

Tamara stuck to the shadows under the eaves of the looming city buildings. The only light came from the glowing gas lamps along the side of the road. When she was traveling at night, Tamara typically wore black. That way, no one could see her until she pulled out her sword and it was too late.

Tamara noticed a female figure swinging from rooftop to rooftop and muttering to herself, but the figure did not notice Tamara. When Tamara reached the palace, she hid next to the high stone walls by the gate and waited. When the figure landed on the top of the gate, Tamara reached up and yanked her down. She fell onto the sidewalk.

The figure pulled out a dagger just as Tamara unsheathed her sword and pointed it at her neck. In the light of the sword's glow, Tamara could make out the figure's face. It was Skeena Still.

"Oh. You," she said.

"Tamara," said Skeena. "Was that really necessary?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Well," huffed Skeena as she stood up, "I am the Queen's spymaster. I often have reason to visit the palace. Why are you here?"

"The Queen requested a Flaming Sword."