Chapter Three, in which the journey begins

"It will take us at least two weeks to get to Noremont, and that's only if the weather holds and we don't meet any surprises on the road," said Tamara. She pointed to Noremont on the map laid out on the table.

"Surprises?" said Kelvin.

"Bandits, lame horses, and other such problems. Anyway, in Noremont we'll stock up on supplies and head north over the mountains, into Dragon territory."

Tamara wasn't sure how she felt about going back to Noremont. Her family still lived there, as far as she knew, but Tamara tried to keep from thinking about them.

Recently, she had been less successful.

"Golly gee," said Ronnith. "Will I get to punch a dragon?"

"We can't go overland," said Skeena. "We might as well carry a flag announcing where we're going and what we're doing."

"We do have to travel, Skeena," said Kelvin.

Skeena jumped up on the table.

"You're standing on my map," said Kelvin.

"Get your muddy boots off of his map!" said Tamara.

"It's a risk to travel overland," said Skeena. "Every inn could hold a spy, and a bunch of newbies like you couldn't manage to fool them all, even with the best disguises."

"Disguises," said Winaya. "I think Ronnith should be a young nobleman on his way to purchase a squid."

"You think we should take a ship," said Kelvin.

"I do think we should take a ship. That way, we would only see the crew, and if there are a few spies among them, I can take care of them."

Take care of them, thought Tamara. I think I know what that means. She imagined a figure in a dark cloak stabbing spies in the back and slipping them into the ocean in the dead of night.

"Wait a minute," said Kelvin. "There are no ports in the Dragon Lands. We might still be able to get to shore with a rowboat, though..."

"Oh no, we're not taking a ship all the way to the Dragon Lands. We'd stick out, and they would hit us with a fireball before we set foot on the beach. No, we'll take a ship to Noremont, and from there we'll hike to the Dragon Tribes."

Noremont again. Tamara cleared her throat and looked up at Skeena, who was still standing on the table. "All right," Tamara said. "We'll take a ship to Noremont. Now, will you please get off the table?"

Skeena did a backflip and landed on the floor. "I'm going to go inspect ships," she said.

"And interrogate the crew," a peevish voice added.

"Yes, of course," said Skeena, and rolled her eyes.

"What?" said Winaya.

"Oh, Nevermind. You should all go home and pack. I'll meet you at the docks this evening."

"Jeez," said General Gertrude when Tamara filled her in. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"I'm sure I don't, but I don't really have a choice. There will be a massive civil war if we don't find the Princess."

"I'm proud of you, Tamara. Send me a letter when you get to Noremont."

Tamara swung her bag over her shoulders as she walked onto the docks. The sun was setting, and the line between the sky and the ocean was golden. Seagulls swooped around the rigging of the ships. Tamara stopped by the prow of a nearby frigate and watched them.

"Hello!" Skeena dropped down in front of Tamara's face, hanging upside down with her legs coiled in the ship's rope.

"By the Great Nom, Skeena, what is the matter with you?"

"You want to try this? It's fun."

"No."

Skeena gave an exaggerated sigh, let go of the rope, somersaulted in midair, and landed on the dock next to Tamara.

"This is the ship," she said. "The crew are all Larchmen, and have no reason to take a side in any conflict in Aranthopolis. The captain is not an honest woman, but I bribed her so much that she'll have our backs long after the honest women have run for the hills."

"Great," said Tamara.

"You know, we're on a quest together now, Tamara. Do you really have to keep holding a grudge?"

"I don't take what you did lightly."

"What did she do?" asked Kelvin.

"Maybe someday, when I know you better, I'll tell you," said Tamara. "For now, I'm going to see the ship." She and Kelvin walked up the gangplank and on board.

"Here's what you need to know about the Dragon Tribes," said Skeena a few days later, while they sailed along the Aranthian coast. "They disdain outsiders. They think we're all cowards."

They were having a meeting on the deck of the ship. There were a few clouds on the horizon, but the captain appeared largely unconcerned.

"Why do they think we're all cowards?" asked Ronnith. "I'm not a coward."

"We don't have any dragons," said Skeena. "They think only brave people have dragons, and since we don't have any dragons, we must be cowards."

"They can't all think that," said Tamara. "Some of them must be more nuanced."

"I wouldn't count on it," said Kelvin. "The Dragon Tribes are notoriously aggressive." He snatched at a piece of paper that the wind picked up.

"I think one of us might have to go through Dragon Initiation to gain their trust."

"Dragon Initiation?"

"Why yes, so they'll take us seriously. All the people of the Dragon Tribes go through Dragon Initiation when they become adults."

Just then, the captain came up to them. "There might be a storm coming," she said. Thunder rumbled. "You might want to go below."

***********************************************************************************************

A/N: What do you guys think the Dragon Tribes will be like?

Please vote and comment!

Updates every Wednesday and Sunday.

May the next movie you watch be really really astonishingly good.

--Q. B.