Chapter Five, in which we meet a dragon tamer

Tamara was the last to step onto the rickety stairs that zigzagged back and forth up the cliffs. The steps were made of rotting wood and rope. Tamara could look through them and see the rocky beach below. She gritted her teeth and planted her feet more firmly on the steps, then looked up and saw Ronnith right in front of her. He was swaying back and forth and making the whole staircase shake. Tamara just hoped he didn't fall on her.

The staircase switched direction three times before it reached the top of the cliff. First it went right, then left, then right, then left again. Kelvin was first in the line, and he inched forward. "Move it!" Skeena shouted somewhere ahead.

The sky got cloudy while they were on the staircase. A gust of wind made the whole thing jerk, and Tamara tried to grab the wall for stability. She came off covered in black ooze. The actual stone of the cliffs, she realized, was gray.

Thunder rumbled, and Kelvin apparently decided he would rather take the slimy steps at a faster pace than be fried by coming lightning. Tamara staggered off the top step and onto the cliff just as it started to rain.

There was a little village perched next to the edge of the cliff. Skeena led the way to the inn. Beyond, Tamara could see that the land was flat rock, covered in lichen and grass.

Tamara slammed the door to the inn closed behind them to keep out the cold. There were lanterns hanging from the ceiling, and the inn was filled with light. A group of musicians in the corner were playing a country reel. Three couples and an old man were dancing. The old man had a peg leg and no teeth. The bar was full, and so were most of the tables.

"We need to get food," said Ronnith. "We'll have to talk to the bartender."

"I'll go," said Skeena. "I have sharp elbows."

"Captain," said Kelvin, "do you know any other ship captains here? We still need a way to get to Noremont."

"Yes," said the Captain, "I see my friend Harold Blacken over in the corner. Come with me." He led Kelvin off.

Tamara scanned the room for a table. In the back, by the fireplace, there was a table with only one person sitting at it. She led Ronnith over.

The man sitting at the table wore a long, stained, green cloak, black pants, and a dirty ruffled white shirt. He had black hair and a chunk missing from one of his ears. "Good evening," he said when Tamara and Ronnith sat down.

Tamara glanced at the man and laid a hand on the hilt of her sword.

"It's too damp to be a good evening," said Ronnith.

The man eyed Tamara. "You look like you were unfortunate enough to have to climb the sea stairs," he said. The man smiled and pointed to the big black blotch of ooze the cliff had left on Tamara's clothing.

Tamara could see the man was watching them, more than he should be. His eyes darted around the room from Tamara to Skeena and Kelvin, even though he hadn't met Skeena and Kelvin yet. He leaned back in his chair and waited for Tamara to do something.

I don't want to deal with this right now, thought Tamara.

"Yes," she said, "the staircase was unpleasant."

"Very slimy," said Ronnith.

Tamara didn't say anything else. Ronnith transferred his attention to the inn's cat. The stranger kept watching them. Tamara was quite happy to remain silent, but after a few minutes the stranger leaned forward and put his elbows on the table.

"So," he said, "where are you traveling to?"

"Noremont," said Tamara.

"Right, to Noremont," said Ronnith, "So we can—"