Escape (Part One)

Isabella smiled at the sleeping babies in her room as she hummed her lullaby to them.

After doing her check ins, she took a seat at her desk and grabbed her pen just as the clock chimed twelve. She let out a small sigh as she began writing. She scratched the fourteenth day off the calendar with her pen, a small smile on her face. "Happy birthday, dear Ray, and goodbye."

"RAYY!!! PENNY!!"

At that scream, Isabella narrowed her eyes. She ran towards the dining hall, and instantly covered her nose. "What is this horrible smell?!"

The moment Isabella threw the doors open, the fire spread out, and Emma was on her knees, screaming Ray's name. "Ray!! RAY!!" She chocked on her sobs. "No...RAY! PENNY!"

Isabella narrowed her eyes. "Ray...Penny?" She ran up to Emma and put her hands on the girl's shoulders. "EMMA!"

Emma looked up, tears falling down her cheeks. "Mom, please...do something! You have to help Ray! Penny went in after him!"

Isabella narrowed her eyes, stood up, and checked the tracker. She narrowed her eyes. "Did he set himself on fire?! Penny went after him?!" The woman gritted her teeth. She ran out of the room, where she met Gilda, whose eyes were wide. "Mom!"

"Gilda!" Isabella gasped. "Go get the babies from my room and take everyone outside! Hurry!"

"Right!"

Isabella stood next to Emma with a fire extinguisher in her hands. "If anything..." she mumbled, narrowing her eyes. "I have to save the brains! Just stay back, Emma!"

Emma stood up, her eyes wide with horror. "Ray...Penny..."

Isabella tried extinguishing the fire, but it stopped. She narrowed her eyes. "The sprinklers aren't working! What happened?! Emma, you need to get out of here, too, otherwise you'll end up getting..." She turned around, and her eyes widened.

Emma was nowhere to be found.

"Emma?" Isabella hesitantly asked. She pulled out her tracker, and let out a gasp. She ran to the bathroom. "Emma?!"

Emma wasn't there.

Isabella walked over to a bucket lying on the ground and lifted it, and she let out a horrified gasp.

An ear.

The woman shakily picked it up in her hands. She sat there stunned for a few moments until she narrowed her eyes, standing up.

"Were the children...wearing their shoes?!"

Emma gasped as she ran through the forest, a cloth pressed firmly by her left ear as she ran.

"She's here!" One of the kids exclaimed, drawing Penny's attention. The girl looked up to see Emma running towards them and breathed a heavy sigh of relief. "You made it!"

Emma gasped as she leaned over her knees, panting. She stood up and faced everyone with a grin. "Thanks for waiting, guys!"

Penny grinned up at Ray, who just looked shocked as he put a hand to his ear. The two could easily remember what had just happened before the fire.

"Thanks a lot." Ray mumbled softly as he held the lit match in his hands. "Nice knowing ya, Emma, Penny."

Penny could only watch in horror as Ray flicked the match out of his hands, and Emma lunged forward. The ginger-haired girl managed to catch the flame, stopping it from spreading anything. She let out a smirk as she turned to Ray, her hands slightly burned. She turned to Ray with a smirk. "Nice catch, huh?"