little things

6:24am

"i always loved the sentence, "it's the little things that matter most." because growing up, i started to realize little by little why they do,"

i'm currently reading the letter which had the words "black hair tie" written on top of it, meaning that it's the letter which corresponds to the object i first picked.

"when i was still living with my parents, and my dad would come home from his daily morning run, he would always bring home a single flower he picked for mom which caught his eye as he jogged,"

"and my mom, no matter how many times he did that consecutively, would have the biggest smile on her face once he walks through the door holding a single flower in between his fingers, knowing full well that it's for her."

"whenever my dad would come home from a tiring day at work, my mom would always, without fail, have a single chocolate chip cookie out on the dining table on the corner of his plate. it doesn't matter if it's homemade or store-bought, my dad loves chocolate chip cookies no matter what brand they are."

"whenever ashton and i would go to school at the same time, and he'd know as we walk down the hallways that i was nervous over an upcoming exam, or an upcoming class, he'd keep quiet, simply pat my head, shoot me a gentle smile, and that'd be enough to lessen my worries."

"another example is, my mom absolutely loves the color yellow. she has a shrine at the corner of their room, filled with numerous yellow trinkets. she has a yellow wallet, yellow nail polish, yellow notebook, you name it, she surely has it in yellow,"

"most of those things came from either me or dad. it got imprinted in our minds that whenever we saw something yellow, we'd remember mom, and we would automatically get that yellow thing for her."

"i also observed something my cousin and her boyfriend would do whenever we'd have family gatherings. my cousin, sam, is a very slow eater, to the point that she's always the last person on the table with food left while everyone's done eating,"

"but i also noticed that her boyfriend, john, would always, always, save his last bite. his last bite of food would grow cold, and he'd just be sitting there, as he patiently waits for sam to finish eating, with his last spoonful of food sitting on his plate,"

"then, before sam takes her last bite, john would also take his last bite, the bite that's been on his plate for minutes, just for sam."

it still isn't clear to me what vada's trying to imply, but i'll keep reading.

"it's the little things that matter most. most especially when those little things are from the people who matter to you. my mom would instantly feel special and remembered when dad brings home a single flower for her, or when i give her something yellow,"

"my dad would always feel like his long day at work was worth it, after seeing that single chocolate chip cookie on the table during dinnertime,"

"i would feel less alone, less worried, because i know that someone's there with me, whenever ashton would pat my head and smile at me as we walk down the school hallway,"

"and sam would be happy, knowing that someone acknowledges that she's a slow eater, and does something so thoughtful out of it."

i pause, letting the words sink in.

"it's just amazing to think that a person goes through so much everyday. that a person has to be worrying about their own day, during almost every second of it."