star player

23 DAYS BEFORE PROM

during all my years in high school, up until now, at my senior year, i've only watched one basketball game.

it was ashton's first time to play, so he really forced me and maurine to watch him.

so, we did watch, and i instantly hated every second of it.

people screaming their heads off, boys running after a ball, and the heat in the gym constantly making me sweat. there was not a part i liked.

that's why, after watching that one game for ashton, i instantly told him that that was the last time i'd watch him, too.

and now, here i am, getting ready to watch luke's basketball game for the first time.

"i can't believe i have to do this," i say, groaning at maurine, "hundreds of people are watching later, maurine, i don't think he's going to even glance my way."

"it wouldn't hurt to try, v," she shrugs, "cause what if he does? plus points for you, then."

"fine," i grumble, "let's go. i think the game starts soon."

maurine and i start to make our way out of my apartment, when i suddenly remembered something.

luke always, and i mean always forgets to bring his water bottle. it won't hurt to bring one for him, would it?

"hold on a second, maurine," i say, "you can wait in the car, i have to go back and grab something real quick."

i toss her my car keys, and make my way towards the kitchen.

i open the cupboard which stores all my unused food containers, as well as unused water bottles.

i settle on a plain blue one, and fill it up with water.

what the hell am i doing?

i make my way out of the apartment and lock the door behind me. i head to the driver's seat of my car, and maurine instantly notices the water bottle i'm holding.

"why'd you bring water?" she giggles, "are you going to get tired of cheering?"

"no," i say as i start to drive, "the water's for luke. he always forgets to bring one, so i thought it wouldn't hurt to bring one for him."

"vada, you're a genius!" she squeals, "that's so sweet of you. the gesture will make his heart melt for sure."

"right," i chuckle slightly, "let's hope he finds it sweet."

my smile falters quickly as i realized that i wanted to bring this for luke not as part of the mission, but because i genuinely wanted to do something nice for him.

i really need to keep my head in the mission, fucking hell.

my phone vibrates, and since we're far from a stop light, i can't read it, yet.

"maurine, i got a text," i say, "can you read it for me? my phone's on the dashboard."

i see from the corner of my eye as maurine sits forward, her hand reaching for my phone. she turns it on and begins to read.