Chapter 6 - BROKEN

Seeing Arjun inside the cabin, Shalini felt a pain in her heart. Her eyes welled. She blinked her eyes to control the tears. On the other hand Arjun's face had no emotions ,he casually welcomed MR.Venkat , they were talking for a good 2 minutes .Shalini was in complete trance. she could not believe her eyes ,she saw Arjun standing in front of her and speaking to venkat  so casually . She was not even able to breathe, the only thing she needed was to leave the room and take a deep breath. But if she left uninformed then it would  be unprofessional ,she just stood rooted to ground ,waiting for the men to notice her . Just then her savior of the day Mithun called her, the ringtone of her mobile made the men notice her.

Venkat: Shalini ,mobile LA silent LA podunga 

Just then she broke out of trance and noticed her mobile ringing.

Shalini: Sorry sir

Arjun: It’s ok sir , avunga pesatu ethachu important Ana call ah irukala ,he said it seeing Shalini with no emotions.

Venkat: veliya poi pesitu vanga

Shalini: Thank you sir..

She left the cabin without looking at Arjun . She came out of the cabin and let out the breath she was holding back , a lone tear escaped her eyes .Wiping  the tear she attended the call.

Shalini: Mithun na meeting LA iruka aprm call panran da

Mithun: seri di okay 

Shalini: bye 

Mithun: bye di

Shalini: mithun…..

Mithun: Sollu di

Shalini: thanks da

Mithun: ethuku di

Shalini: for everything

Mithun: kalailaya kudichu irukiya ena..ethachu olarikutu phone a vei di.

Shalini smiled at his comment and bid bye to him. She somehow composed herself and decided to act professional and not show Arjun that his presence affected her. She took a deep breath and entered the cabin after 2 min.

Shalini: Really sorry sir ,important personal call.

Venkat: It's ok, let it be the last.

Shalini: Sure sir.

Venkat : Fine,  he is our new CEO, he said pointing to Arjun. 

Arjun : Hello I’m ARJUN VISWANATH, he said, forwarding his hands for a handshake.

Being professional, Shalini forwarded her hand and spoke with a stern voice.

Shalini : Hello sir, I’ m Shalini rajashekar and I will be assisting you until your new PA Is appointed .

Venkat : Yeah, thank you for reminding Shalini, how did I forget? please make the arrangements for the interview.

Shalini: Sure sir.

Arjun: it’s ok sir, take your Time.

Venkat: Thank you sir ,but we will arrange the interview soon and usually Shalini interviews the PA candidates , but if you wish you can personally interview them.

Arjun: It's good if she interview’s the candidates ,I think she knows what I need better than me .He said , earning a glare from her.

Mr.Venkat felt something was not right between the two but he brushed  it off and said it can be done according to Arjun’s wish and bid bye to the duo and left , leaving them all alone in the cabin. After a brief silence of two minute Shalini decided to break the silence.

Shalini: fine sir I’m leaving for my cabin, please let me know If you need anything.

Arjun: Sure Mrs.Shalini ,will let you know.

Shalini: sry sir it’s Miss.Shalini rajashekar.

Arjun: oh sry Miss. shalini and you may leave.

Shalini: Thank you sir.

Shalini left the cabin and settled herself in her chair and took a deep breath . She somehow managed that day without breaking out in tears but unknowingly Arjun being so casual affected her. She completed her work and started driving to her home. Only thing that was in her mind throughout  the drive was Arjun’s casual behavior and she remembered the dream from early morning where Arjun apologized to her and she accepted him. She prayed to God that the dream should never become reality . 

***

Mithun was playing with appu in the living room .He then noticed shalini enter the house..

Mithun: Hi dii vantaiya .. Na appu va…..

Shalini ran upstairs to her room without even noticing the duo. Mithun was confused with her actions.

Mithun : ena partner kuthu kallu mari rendu peru inga ukanthu iruko ,Unga Amma enana thirumbi kuda pakama pora.

Appu shrugged his shoulder’s. Selvi ma came back from the kitchen and noticed the car parked in the portico.

Selvi: paapa vanthrucha yena , enga kano.

Mithun: vanthuta ma ,enanu therila vanthona ava patuku Mela poita.

Selvi: appu va kuda pakama Mela poirucha ithu ena athisayama iruku, Irunga na poi pathutu vara . she said in a surprised tone.

Mithun: Ilama ma venda , romba tired a irupa pola Face a seri illa niga poi dinner ready panunga ipothaiku avala disturb pana venda .

Selvi: seri thambi ungalauku sethi seiyara saptutu ponga

Mithun: seri ma.

All the tears which Shalini was holding right from morning made its way through her cheeks the next second she entered her room. She sat on her bed and cried her heart out for nearly 30 minutes. She wiped her tears and stood up from bed and opened the wardrobe and took out a photo frame from the middle of her clothes. She sat leaning on the bed rest and saw the frame with treaded eyes. She caressed the photo in which she was in full blush mood with garland around her neck and Arjun was standing with a garland around his neck near her with no emotions in his face and having his hands around her shoulders, yes it was their marriage photo. She stared at the photo for a long time and hid it under the pillow and drifted off to sleep.

***

Mithun who fed appu dinner and put him to sleep in the other bedroom not wanting to disturb Shalini, thank god appu did not throw any tantrums to sleep without his mother.  He came out of the room and went to Shalini’s room to check on her. He saw her sleeping and the dried traces for the tears in her cheeks and her pink nose and pale face told him that she had cried a lot . He sighed seeing her condition and took a blanket and covered her with it and sat beside her and caressed her hair.

“ Apdi ena than di enkita irunthu maraikara, yen yellathaiyu ipdi manasulaya vechukutu kasta padara, ni ipdi kasta padaratha pathu ethavuma theriyama ethuvum pana mudiyama I feel helpless dii”   

he whispered without disturbing her sleep. He was concerned about her and felt bad that he could not do anything about it. Even though he wanted to know about her past and help her ,she was not ready to share it with him. He also wanted to know it only from her and not from others ,not even from her parents.

He locked the door and headed downstairs and informed Selvi Amma that Shalini is having a headache and she is sleeping and not to disturb her and asked her to stay there for the night as appu was sleeping alone . She agreed to it and stayed there. He left the house with a heavy heart as he was not able to share his friend's sorrows.

***

This the sixth chapter. Do vote if you like it and comment your suggestions.

I have tried my level to project Shalini's feeling after meeting arjun. If  it was not to the level please forgive me.

Was Arjun was not affected by her presence?

Why did he did not even try to initiate a personal conversation with her?

Thanks for all your support for previous chapters.