34. Unexpected Guest

Start from the beginning

"What, I can't come for my daughter's birthday?" his smile widens, holding out his arms which I now see are full of flowers.

"Daddy!" I hear Mia shout from behind me as she sprints forward, leaping into Vince's arms. Her clear joy has the nerves and panic slightly settling.

"Hey Princess," he whispers. "Happy birthday."

"Are you staying for my party?" She asks with a plea.

"Of course I am. I wouldn't miss it for the world. And look," he pulls back from her. "These are for you," he hands her the small bouquet of flowers, my heart still pounding from my chest.

"For me?" she beams. "What about those ones?" she asks, pointing to the larger bundle of roses in his other hand.

"Those are for your beautiful mother," he smiles before standing to face me now. He slowly holds the flowers out to me.

Glancing at the red roses, I suddenly flash back to every bundle he's ever bought me. Our house was littered with them. Every time he laid a hand on me, a dozen roses would appear the next day. Two dozen for the really messed up nights.

I hate roses.

I glance at Mia and her hopeful eyes before pushing a smile on my face and reach for the flowers. I pull them to my nose, taking in their fragrance then smiling down at Mia. "They are very pretty," my eyes reluctantly find Vince's again. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," he grins with pride before bending back down to Mia. "Now, I seem to have a trunk full of presents in my car. Do you happen to know anyone who might be having a party today and in need of some gifts?"

She jumps up and down, clapping her hands together. "Me! It's my birthday!"

"No way!" he smiles, grabbing her hand. "Let's go see what's in there, shall we?"

As they walk to the car, my heart begins to increase its rate once again as my hand squeezes the flowers I'm holding. I watch as Mia runs close behind him, nearly skipping in joy. A sense of guilt falls over me watching her excitement.

I quickly turn away and make my way to the kitchen to place the flowers in water. I glance in the mirror briefly on my way, checking my appearance. My hair is down, something I don't usually do around Vince. I usually try to be put together a bit more. I also look down at the jeans and tshirt I'm currently wearing. I should have worn the dress I had picked out for the party. I just knew I would be running around and when Mia saw the unicorn shirt, I couldn't help myself knowing how much she loved it. But now I just look disheveled and frantic and way too relaxed.

My heart clenches as Vince comes into the kitchen now, his hands full of gifts.

He sets them down at the table before stepping closer to the counter. I quickly turn to grab the vase and begin cutting the ends of the stems, purposefully keeping my hands extremely busy.

"Daddy!" Mia runs in, breaking the strained silence building in the room. "Come see what Mommy and Tommy built for me," she shouts, causing my heart to do another somersault.

My eyes quickly widen, shooting to Vince who has already locked his stern gaze on me. Mia quickly grabs his hand, pulling him to the yard.

"Come on," she pulls. "We can have a tea party inside just like I do with Tommy."

Another flip in my chest, this time it steals my breath.

"You go on and set it up for me, Princess. I'll be right there," he says with a half smile.

"Okay!"

As soon as she leaves, I quickly gather the flowers in my hands, doing my best to stay as busy as possible. I ignore the thick air and pounding in my ears.