5. Her Voice

Coming in to work on your day off to finish incident reports should be illegal

Coming in to work on your day off to finish incident reports should be illegal. Somebody call up the Department of fucking Labor, there has to be some kind of protection law against this shit. Doesn't anyone care that we've got critical tasks to perform, a mission to complete out there on the streets? I don't want to die of old age at a desk.

Okay, I think I'm just hungry.

Three stacks of paperwork and one lingering evil glare from the Chief later, I finally pull up at the James' residence for the barbeque with Trevor's family. And, look at that, I'm only a half hour late. Well, more like forty minutes. Damn it, I hate being late.

As I'm making my way through the yard, the sounds of light music and friendly conversation hit my ears. It sounds so nice. That is, until I hear my nemesis, my humorous adversary. The only woman to ever challenge my comedic tendencies and get away with it as I kindly extend her the same mercy I've only ever imparted on my sisters.

"There he is! The legend himself," Trevor's girlfriend, Lacy, announces as I approach.

It's not enough that she's a sarcastically entertaining force to be reckoned with, not unlike myself I might add, but nope... it gets better.

Ever since Madison decided Lacy was her go-to person to dish the details of our carnal relations with, let's just say Lacy's arsenal of material against me expanded in big ways when she was able to add comments on my sex life to her usual amusing jabs.

I shake my head at her because it's all I can do. Well, that, and try to turn it around the best I can.

"Got any new ego boosters for me? You must have some fresh material by now," I smirk. She may think her jokes are funny, but I have no issue taking ones like that as a fucking compliment.

Lacy taps a busy finger against her lip. "You know what, now that you mention it, nothing comes to mind. You must be losing your touch, Sallow. You're also late, by the way," she says with a wicked smile, egging me on as she gives Trevor a little nudge and points in my direction. "Can you believe this guy?"

I don't want to give her the pleasure of knowing she got me on that one but I can't help laughing either. Lacy's cool. She really is like one of my sisters, only she doesn't have that Sallow loyalty that lets me win sometimes so I've truly met my match with her. Honestly, it's admirable.

Trevor smirks beside her and I'm just about to deliver my retort when his dad shows up out of nowhere, effectively shutting down the battle royale. For the moment, anyway. We don't bicker in front of the grown-ups.

"Like you two have any business talking," Ed remarks, gesturing between Trevor and Lacy. "Don't let her get on your case, Tommy. You showed up right on their heels."

Ed and I greet one another with a quick handshake and I thank him for having me before he runs back inside the house to grab something. My eyes hone in on Lacy and I open my mouth for the comeback about her being late as well, unwilling to let this one slide. She just sinks her chin into the palm of her hand and smirks back, waiting to see what I come up with.