Introduction

THE MYTHS OF CHRISTIANITY

A FIVE THOUSAND YEAR JOURNEY TO FIND THE SON OF GOD

Jedediah McClure

1st Edition 

INTRODUCTION

The subject of this book has been on my mind for well over a decade. Since my tumultuous teenage years, I was fascinated by the ancient history of Christianity: The miraculous life of Jesus and the apostles; the seemingly unstoppable spread of the gospel; and the prophetic development of a world religion. I was always overwhelmingly captivated by the vast complexity, as well as subtle nuances, of this religion.

Two years ago, a particular experience became the turning point and catalyst for this book. Because this subject has been a driving influence throughout my life, I feel it appropriate to begin by explaining why and how this subject became so important to me.

I was raised in a strict Christian home and for the majority of my life I was actively involved in religion. From the time I was little I was awed by the power of God in parting the Red Sea; the majestic fury of Moses as he boldly demanded of Pharaoh, “Let my people go”; and Joshua’s jubilation as the walls of Jericho crumbled under the trumpets’ triumphant blare.

My skin crawled as I learned of the sinister serpent’s insidious deception in the garden and I spent days wondering what it would be like to live inside the belly of a whale. Would there be any light? Would I be able to look out the blowhole on the whale’s back? Would there be other fishermen in the beast’s belly like in the Disney cartoon Pinocchio? Such were the thoughts of an eight-year old boy.

My parents, four siblings and I attended Church every Sunday. As a family, we read from the scriptures together. I can vividly remember summer evenings spent learning about Jesus’ importance at Vacation Bible School while making crafts and singing “This Little Light of Mine.”

Jesus was so important, in fact, that teachers were constantly giving me stickers with His picture on them to help me remember how to act. Countless times I heard the questions, “Young man, would Jesus do that?” or “Would Jesus say that to a friend?” or “What would Jesus do right now?” I was even told, “If He were here, Jesus would be so upset with you right now.”

I learned Jesus made all the rules when it came to how we should act.

As a child, acting “like Jesus” was my noblest aspiration – that is, of course, when I wasn’t trying to save the princess from the evil clutches of Darth Vader with my plastic green light saber or leaping from one piece of furniture to the other as Superman, with my cape (a homemade, patchwork quilt) billowing behind me.

I also learned, in Vacation Bible School, not all Christians are the same. I was confused when told I didn’t need to be baptized to go to heaven because I had already learned in my own church that I had to be baptized to go to heaven – in fact, I was eagerly looking forward to my upcoming baptism that fall.

I was confused when my Sunday school teacher taught me about repentance and that I should try to be a better person and not do bad things, but I had already learned none of that mattered from Vacation Bible School; I just had to love God and He would love me enough to bring me to heaven with Jesus. So which was it? Did I have to do good, or just love God? What did that even mean? How was I supposed to love God when I could not even see Him?