Twenty-Eight

"Do you see now? Why loyalty means so much to me. Why i want what i give in return?" I asked to move the topic along. Klaus nodded.

"I do understand." He spoke calmly as he looked out to the horses.

"You know, uh, horses are the opposite of people. They are loyal. My father hunted me for a thousand years and the closest he ever came was the day he killed my favourite horse. He severed his neck with a sword as a warning." A share of trauma to know i wasn't alone in my misery.

"Not everyone's family dynamic can be as loyal as my own." I mused nudging his arm in a sort of comfort.

"Speaking of." I continued.

"You should know if you ever feel lonesome in your own home, mine is open to you. You have been apart of our family since the moment you turned into a hybrid, protected by us at least." And he had been, to ensure my safety but now i believed he was protected for different reasons.

I didn't have to listen very hard to hear his breath falter.

"Klaus?" I turned to ask but he was already watching.

"You know, my friends call me Nik." My smile flickered. 

"Well Nik would you like to know a secret?" Klaus nodded almost instantly.

"My name isn't Eris, i spent a few decades in Greece where they chose to shorten my actual name. They deemed me the goddess of strife and discord. My real name is Erisandre." I snickered at the memory.

"Erisandre Ashire." He tested the name on his tongue.

"Such a beautiful name to keep from history." I shrugged at his playful tone.

"And what of Niklaus?" I questioned instead.

"An old name that died with age." He spoke calmly but i only shuck my head.

"It reminds me of home." I offered because indeed it did, from a childhood where names meant more then just an identification, where they were title and status. The times i had grown in.

I felt the air change as he got closer, the fire on my skin light at his lingering touch, his hands moving to the rhythm of my heart like he had memorised the melody. Even his eyes a spectacle themselves, ones i could look into for an eternity and feel as though no time had passed.

"I find it harder each day to keep my promise to you love, to leave you alone." His words were fuel to the fire within me.

"Perhaps i no longer want you to." 

No longer was i war, a woman fated to end the world. I was peace and serenity and nothing could ever harm me, not as his lips met mine and the warmth of his touch protected me.

Truly we had been made for the other, our lips moulded as though crafted to only fit the other. Breath was no longer needed and i had found a new drug. Passion and peace mixed into one from his feelings and my own and completion made me whole. 

It was overwhelming and still i wanted more, leaning further into him as his hand rose to my hair, wanting the same thing. A spark of something new lighting the fires in our hearts, pushing us to continue what we had started. 

All thoughts left me at the taste of him, his touch.

Fine liquors and smooth fabrics, the feeling of his shirt against my palm, the taste of his tongue in my mouth. Only when air became a necessity did we pull back but i had been willing to suffocate in all that was him. 

Maybe there would have been more, a long awaited kiss turned to something feral, had the peace not been shattered.

"Eris." Ezra called from the manor his eyes scanning the garden, i sighed out.

"Takes a lot to be queen, love." Klaus chuckled as i nodded turning back to him for one last time this night.

"Please remember that Nik." His laughter sobered as i left him there to meet with my brother, his face impassive and unamused.

"Who?" I asked.

"The youngest Mikaelson brother has disturbed your peace, he is luring out the human boy Matt as we speak, he and his sister had planned to kill him." Ezra informed gesturing to a balcony on the second floor, there the two stood, conversation mild for only a moment.

"Oh and sister." Ezra stopped me as i tried to pass him.

"Yes brother?" I asked softly.

"You may want to fix your lip stick." His taunt left him in laughter and myself flustered as i scurried past, making my way through the crowds and trudging up the stairs. It didn't take long to reach them, nor to see where the originals intentions were going. 

"Matt Donavan." I watched as the human offered his hand. 

"Kol Mikaelson." The vampire replied, even from where i stood i could hear the boys bones begin to break.

"Easy there." I interrupted snatching the boy away. He stumbled back slowly.

"Humans are quite fragile." I continued to muse. Kol was known to be reckless, that much was shown as he bared his teeth at me. I didn't let him pounce.

Instead i tackled him from the railing, ensuring myself a comfy fall as i pinned him below me.

"Follow my rules little vampire." I warned before taking the effort to snap his neck. Damon was behind me within a moment.

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

"Hey! Damon! Eris! Are you insane?" Stefan came running from the manor, his eyes alight with confusion. 

"Maybe a little." Damon answered for us as the Mikaelsons followed, my brothers lingering behind them all. 

"Far be it for us to cause a problem." He taunted looking to Elena before prowling off into the night.

My eyes only found Esther's, afraid of which others i would catch. Knowing i had ruined someone's night and ashamed his brother.

"This is your only warning Esther, you want your peace, your family reunited, keep them in line." She remained stoic despite having been told the consequences prior, her face passive as my brothers passed her, Kyrin shaking Klaus's hand as he passed and thanking him for the invitation. 

It seemed like the heat of a thousand gazes followed me to the car. Only ever dimming when the distance grew. I sat in my room that night, the weight of a heavy crown far more crooked. Like everything, i thought i had ruined it all until the soft patter of a knock sounded on my bedroom door.

I opened it slowly to see Kyrin, a letter in hand.

"Left on the doorstep for you." He nodded his dismissal parting for his own room as i swept back to my bed, parting the envelop to catch a peak inside. 

The paper held a thousand feelings, each deciphered by one little detail. I stared back at myself on this parchment, the eyes my own and the smile unmistakeable. My fingers absently drifted over each man made mark and i wondered from what moment he had captured this. Finally i glanced to the note below it.

I remember. Thank you for the dance Erisandre ~Nik