Twelve

The buzzer rang loud and clear in my ears and i knew Elena was on borrowed time. I made my way swiftly to the sound of breaking glass and the groans of a man fighting his nature. Stefan slammed into lockers as he tried to hold himself back, Elena sprinting as fast as she could to get away. 

I nodded as she ran past me.

"I'll keep him safe, i promise it." She sighed thankfully before the doors slammed shut behind her. My attention was taken quickly as Stefan tried to rush past me. I gripped his arms, delighted by the fight he showed.

"Should have never stopped taking vervain." I tutted as he groaned. 

"Kill me and save Elena, i can't fight it." His actions fought his words as his body yanked away from me.

"I prefer keeping you both alive and usually i get what i want." Most of the time anyway. I watched with fascination as his features changed to that of a rippers, he made a dash for the door. 

I grasped him, forcing him into the empty cafeteria where he stumbled to a halt. My eyes landed on a bucket of cleaning supplies, brooms and mops sticking out.

"Take one of those and distract yourself with pain." I demanded as he shuffled uneasily to them, with a show of strength he snapped a broom, lodging it into his stomach.

He groaned out.

"That's it Stefan, well done." I cooed until our moment was ruined. Elena being lugged by Klaus came into the room. How hard was it to run? One simple task. I showcased my agitation to her with a sigh.

"Well this is fascinating, the one thing stronger than your craving for blood is your love for this one girl." He looked anything less then impressed.

"Give or take a bossy woman." Klaus continued as he gestured to me.

"Why don't you turn it off?" Stefan shot him down quickly.

"No." 

"Come on your humanity is killing you, all that guilt must be exhausting. Turn it off." I moved away from Stefan as Klaus walked to him, instead i gestured to the door making Elena follow my trail of thought.

"Stefan-" She mewled instead.

"Your strong but not that strong. Turn. It. Off." I turned to her fully, eyes angered.

Go now

I mouthed, she shuck her head in fear for her loved one. I was seriously sick of teenage romance. 

"No!" Stefan yelled pushing Klaus back, a part of me lashed out inside of my mind, muffled by every piece of common sense i held. Klaus sped Stefan into the wall, shouting back.

"Turn it of!" I took the chance to grasp Elena.

"You don't want to stay for this bit Elena." I whispered harshly but she only brushed past me.

"What did you do?" She muttered in sorrow. Klaus turned.

"I fixed him." I pinched the bridge of my nose in agitation. 

"Perhaps a test is in order? Stefan would you like a drink? from the doppelgangers neck?" Klaus moved to Elena. 

"I'd rather not play this game." I interrupted lowering my hand from my face. Kill Stefan, save Elena. Fail Damon. Let Elena die, save Stefan. Fail Damon.

"Maybe i could be persuaded to choose a different test." I bit down on my lip at Klaus's offer.

"What do you want?" Plain and simple.

"I want to know how we are linked and what you are." Keep both alive, share a secret, spare Damon.

"We are linked through a bond called shadowmates limited to only four people in the world." I rolled my eyes as he moved back from Elena. 

"And what you are?" I tossed an incredulous glance his way. 

"You think i would tell you when you still hold all the cards in your hand? Allow one to leave and i will tell you." Klaus debated my words for a second before turning to Stefan.

"Go wait with Rebekah will you?" Stefan nodded void of emotion before he left the room. I listened to make sure he was out of ear shot before I turned back to the pair. I wondered what Elena would think once i shared the secret, if her opinion would change of me.

"Like you i was born a wolf." I began, rolling my eyes. 

"After a certain event my father used his magic to turn my siblings into a new species. We gained the power to change at will and even developed certain skill sets. We continued to call our self Lycanthrope, royal wolves until the witches foresaw a prophecy. Then the people gave us a name of their own." I swallowed thickly.

"I don't want her here for this part." I gestured to the girl beside us.

"Ashamed of who you are love?" Klaus taunted. I shuck my head lowly.

"I'm not ashamed of who i am or how i came to be, I'd rather not hear how my friend reacts to it however." My friend, yes. Maybe after our time together she had become close to me. Her and the other girls.

"Spare me of that at least." I continued. Klaus hummed briefly.

"Wait in the hallway Elena, don't do anything stupid." He dismissed her, she looked hesitant to leave me alone with him. If only she knew who she really had to worry about. After she closed the door a weight lifted from my shoulders.

"Go on then, tell me what exactly my shadowmate is." I bit back the agitation at his words.

"And if you don't believe me?" I retorted.

"We will see won't we?" I bit down on my lip in hesitation.

"The witches saw the end of the world and at it's centre four lycanthrope, the cause of it all. Word spread and a new name was littered onto us, The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse. Congratulations." I offered a mocking smile.

"And which one are you?" He pushed but i laughed lowly. 

"I told you what i am, i never said i would tell you who." I pushed past him hearing his laugh echo after me.

"Your a pain love but i think i can handle you yet." I scoffed at him.

"Did you miss the part where i destroy the world?" He followed me out.

"I've come to the realisation that witches can't be trusted." Klaus told me as he kept up easily. 

"I don't need your opinions on it, in fact i'll be glad if this is our last conversation. Try not to kill Elena, i quite like her." I tossed an agitated smile as i turned from the building.

"Leaving so soon?" Klaus called after me.

"Don't worry, i'll be thinking of you... dead." His laughter washed away as i walked to the car park. I managed to reach the door handle before a gust of blonde snapped my neck.