Chapter 51 - Ceremonies

Start from the beginning

"I wanted to see how you were feeling," Mr. Kim said.

"I have nothing to complain about," you replied. "My father is beginning to recover, and I'm home once more."

He nodded in thought. "Of course, of course. But I was thinking more of your feelings towards this wedding, my dear."

You tried not to show your shaky breath as you exhaled. You lifted your skirts and sat on the bench next to the window, unsure of how to answer. He stepped forward and sat down next to you.

"Arrangements like ours are not uncommon," he said, "and your father thought the best way to protect you was to make this arrangement. He knew his health was failing and he couldn't find any other means to provide for you."

You gripped your dress, frustration pricking the back of your eyes. "Why didn't he tell me he was sick? I would have --"

"You would have worked yourself to the bone in his place," he finished for you. "Your father would have become even further ill with guilt if that were to happen, and would have considered himself a failure as a father. I understand him. I already feel like a lifetime isn't long enough to make up for my negligence of Seokjin and his mother, and I would despise myself should anything happen to him or my two daughters."

He folded his hands in front of him, turning to look at you.

"That's why I agreed to this arrangement," he continued. "If, at the very least, I could put the old fool at ease for a few moments. His health was already failing, and I couldn't refuse him as it would only aggravate his condition. But understand that I had no intention of forcing you to marry me."

You looked up at him in confusion. He smiled warmly.

"I intend to take care of you and your father, with or without this marriage," he said. "Your father would have refused me if I simply offered my resources, so I agreed to his proposal instead."

You laughed ironically. "It seems we're quite similar in our thinking. We both agreed to this to spare Father pain."

There was a pause between you.

"But there's no point in causing pain for you, my dear," he said quietly. "I will be happy to take care of you as my wife, should that be what you want. If it isn't... then I won't take your rejection personally."

He smiled again. You suddenly felt overwhelmed, tears forming at the back of your eyes. You sniffed them back, trying to keep your composure.

"I'm grateful for your kindness," you finally said. "And thank you for being so considerate of both my father and myself."

He nodded firmly. "Your father saved my life on many occasions. I owe him as much."

He came to his feet and walked back towards the entrance of the room, picking up his jacket and hanging it over his arm.

"And for the record," he said, "your father never officially announced our engagement. It won't be difficult to brush it off as a simple rumor."

He gave an innocent shrug before putting on his hat.

"You can let me know your decision at any time," he said, putting on his coat. "But now, I'm going to go to my physician and request that he take care of your father exclusively. So put your mind at ease, hmm?"

Overwhelmed by emotions, you came to my feet and ran to him, throwing your arms around him in gratitude.

"Thank you, Captain," you said sincerely.

He gave you a light pat on the shoulder as he chuckled. "It's my pleasure, my dear. Wherever your happiness lies, I want you to go to it. I'll watch over you and your father no matter where your feet want to go."

He gave you a quick nod of encouragement as he stepped broke away from your embrace to go out the door.

All the tension in your body released in a single wave, sending you to your knees. You shuttered, not sure whether to laugh or cry. Instead, all you could do was breathe heavily into your hands, grateful to anyone who could hear how hard your heart was beating.

You were free.

There was no one holding you here. There was no one holding any power over your life. But what could you do? You had no income, and it would take far too long to learn a trade that would take care of your family. Was there even an option outside of marriage? 

What did you want?

Where was your happiness?

----------------------------

Tigers, this is it!

Starting next week I will be posting multiple endings, one for each member of the vocal line. Then there will be a His POV series, where you will see some of the events of the story through the eyes of the vocal line characters. 

Which member of the vocal line do you want to end up with???