"I asked you something, princess." He moistened his lips.

His eyes aren't focused on mine but my lips. Fuck me for saying he looks hot right now but I can't, I just can't do this.

"Not hungry, and you aren't annoying, you're just too involved in stuff you shouldn't." I breathed out.

"Like..." he trails off.

"Like me," I say. "My family, my past, my friends. Take your pick." I pull my arm away from his hold.

"Why won't you just talk to me then?" Chase asks from behind me.

Does he not remember the talk we had the other night on the abandoned park?

I began walking backward as I try to collect my words. "Because as easy as it sounds, it's not. It just always ends up being twice as painful."

Sadly, I hear branches breaking behind me while I was silently hoping that Chase would leave me.

"What is that?" Chase directs at my journal.

"Have you ever seen a notebook?" I ask with a blank face, maybe if I act cold towards him he'll realize what a bitch I am and could leave me alone.

"Journal or notebook?" He lays down across from me, staring up at the sky that's grey and foggy.

It's probably going to rain, it's September and the climate is changing.

I roll my eyes and open my journal to the last few pages left. I really do write a lot,!but you can't blame me, I have nothing to do at home. I spend most of my afternoons writing stuff about my life that isn't even that interesting.

"What is it then?" I blink at him, going back to my writing but I can still feel his gaze on me wanting to answer.

I finally give in and let out a sigh. "Whatever you want to call it." I shrug.

But for him apparently that is not enough. "I want you to tell me what it is."

I close my book and give him my attention which I'm sure is what he wants."It's a journal and it has paper. To you know, write things down?" I sarcastically say, rolling my eyes at him.

"What do you use it for?"

"I don't know, I just like to write." I lied shrugging.

"What thing do you write? Story, diary, feelin-"

"Nothing like that, I just enjoy it. It's a distraction." Whatever I say.

You see ,I didn't fully lie there because it's true. I practically write about everything but mainly my feelings.

Chase hums to that and sits up, staring straight at me. "You're lying," he states.

I scoff and leaned back to the tree.

"See, the thing is I am not." I sent him a forced smile.

He gives me a smirk. "You are and you know it. So tell me, what do you write about?"

I gulp as he takes a seat next to me, causing me to be nervous again. "Fine, you really want to know?" I ask confidently.

He nods. "Yes, now speak."

I place my journal aside from me while I rest my head on the tree. What's wrong with telling him about my little secret?

"I write about all the shitty things in my life."

"What do you mean?" His eyes showing some type of concern if I should call it that.

"I fake it. Jacob fakes it, I-I mean everybody fakes it." I make eye contact with him. "Behind this version of me, there is a weaker version begging to be saved."

"Is that what you think of yourself as? Weak?" He asks with a frown.

I shake my head and break the eyes contact. "It's not about what I think, Chase. It's about what I know, and trust me, I know myself better than anyone."

I mean,do I? I can't even figure out my feelings for Chase, so do I really know myself that well?

No, I don't.

"You don't need to be saved, Nina, all you need is happiness in your life. Why won't you let that happen?"

"Because happiness is taken from me! It's either the people I care about leave or I'm just simply miserable." Chase's hand touches my arm, but goes down to my hand, placing it on top.

I look at his hand and then at him, our eyes holding into each other like there is so much that needs to be spoken but it's not. "You have me, I won't leave."

Suddenly hearing that again made me slightly angry.

"You can't say that," I pull my hand away. "You can't say that without meaning it."

He stands as well and reaches for my arm but I yanked it away, glaring at him. I feel my eyes getting watery so I bowed my head, blinking away the tears. Everyone in my messed-up life says that and every time they leave.

"I mean it," he says.

His index finger goes down to my chin and lifts my face, I meet with his hazel eyes again.

Does he? No.

Nobody ever means that in my world. They just throw the word 'promise' like it's nothing and I hate it because sometimes I'm too naive and I believe them, well, not anymore. I step backwards, and with a frown, I shake my head walking away.

******
A/N: Hmmmmm, is Chase Griffin really "fucking fantastic"? Let me know in the comments i love reading them. Don't forget to vote and share my story 🤍