Seventeen: Nightmares

Start from the beginning

"Am I not fit enough to be Ladybug?" Marinette asked, slightly hurt.

"No! That's not what I meant," Chat said, clearly frustrated.

"Then what Chat? What's wrong?" Marinette asked, worriedly.

"What's wrong is that you're Ladybug! Which means that you never loved me, Ladybug doesn't love me Marinette," Chat said, gritting his teeth.

"Chat-" Marinette started but was interrupted by him.

"Don't call me that!" He practically hissed. "First you reject me several times as Ladybug, then you pretend to love me in your civilian form?" He asked, looking disgusted.

"Pretend to love you? I never pretended-" Marinette started but was caught off again.

"Save it!" He snapped. "You clearly don't know what heartbreak feels like, I followed you around like a lovesick idiot, you never cared about me."

"Chat what are you talking about? I always cared about you!" Marinette said, tears streaming down her cheeks. Even if she didn't love him at first because of her love for Adrien, she still cared about him as her friend and always made sure he was okay.

"I bet that's what you tell the others," he said with a bitter laugh. "Now I can only imagine how cruel you can be, putting up a sweet façade in front of everyone," he shook his head.

"I never put up a façade Chat! Yes, I didn't love you because I was in love with Adrien, but then I grew to fall in love with you, to realize how special you really are to me," Marinette said, gently taking a hold of his hand. "I've always loved you kitty, I was just too stupid to realize it."

Chat looked her in the eye, both silent for a minute, he stared at her bluebell ones, there was no emotion evident in his eyes. His face went blank as he removed her hand from his, "I've been lied to all my life, have never gotten a sense of love from anyone, but I'm not that stupid to hurt myself further by staying a second longer with you, I never want to see you again," he said, coldly.

Marinette's eyes widened at that and she felt more tears fall down her cheeks, "Chat no we can't just end this," she pleaded, trying to get him to understand that she really did love him and never had the intention of hurting him.

"That's where you're wrong Marinette, because we already did," he said, before jumping off her balcony and disappearing out of sight, into thin air.

Marinette felt her heart break into a million pieces as the boy that had been in front of her, the boy that she had fallen in love with, had left her, all alone, and broken. 

Marinette woke up abruptly with her heart pounding in her chest, and sweat covering her body. She felt her hands shake as they ran through her dark messy hair, she let out some shaky breaths as she tried to remember where she was. 

She looked at her surroundings breathing in a sigh of relief as she realized she was still in her room, and that she had a nightmare. Tikki was still sleeping on her pillow and it was a miracle Marinette hadn't woken her kwami up. She looked out the window seeing as it was still dark out and climbed out of her bed, heading towards the bathroom. She splashed her face with cold water in an attempt to cool her body, her hands resting against the counter. 

She dreamt that she told Chat who she was, which was stupid because she wasn't planning to, especially after what had happened to him because of it. She told him her secret identity and he didn't take it well, he felt hurt, betrayed, and broken as he left her all alone on her balcony being swallowed by the night.