🌻Chapter 15

🌻

The white BMW stopped in front of my office's building.

I climbed out of the car and squinted back in at Mew, who sat behind the wheel.

"Thank you for dropping me off. I'll start drawing up some sketches for the design and get back in touch the day afrer tomorrow."

"I can't wait."

I closed the door and stood on the sidewalk as the car slowly pulled away. Watching it drive away, I decided that it really didn't look like something an honest man would drive. If I were to pass it in the street, I would do my best to avoid looking at it.

I had only spent half a day with Mew, but I felt incredibly tired already.

That's becasue I fell in the pool and Mew molested me, I thought. It only made me feel more tired. I lifted my heavy feet and climbed the stairs to my office.

"I'm back!"

I opened the door as I spoke, but only Bright and Mild, the office assistant, were there. AA was probably downstairs in the studio, but where was Yaya?

Sometimes we had to go out to meet with clients or go set things up in convention halls, so it wasn't unusual that we weren't always all in the office.

"Welcome back, Gulf. Yaya's out doing the window display of a cellphone shop in Shinjuku." Bright informed me graciously. My confused glancing around the room had apparently asked my question for me.

"She's so good at those. I saw the front window she did at that department store, the one with all the big, colorful parasols and the real water. It looked so refreshing. People were stopping on the street to look at it." In order to achieve this refreshing scene, she had used a small pump to make an artificial fountain. That kind of dynamic imagination was typical of Yaya. It made me sad to think that it would be gone in a few weeks.

Yaya was the only woman working for Tomato Design, but she was definitely had the boldest designs. She always told me that if there were no challenges, things came together too easily to be any good. There was still a lot I had to learn.

"How was the tour?" Bright asked genially, waving me over to his desk.

I couldn't tell him the truth, that something depreved had happened and then I'd wound up taking a nap with Mew.

"Uh...well..."

I didn't know what to say. Bright must have thought I was hesitating to answer for some other reason, because he said, "It's okay. AA and I know what kind of hotels Mister Mew runs. You don't need to worry about how to break it to me."

My eyes widened at Bright's off-handed tone. How long had he known about that?

"Have you known this whole time?" If so, why hadn't they told me? Were they watching to see me how I'd react?

My voice must have gotten a little sharp, because Bright looked up at me and waved his hands quickly. "No, no, don't get the wrong idea. We talked about it when Mister Mew came this morning. He told us he's not ashamed of what he does and that he never meant to hide it from us."

"Oh, I see."

That did sound a lot like Mew.

As I thought more about it, I realized it wasn't the sort of information that should be hidden from AA and Bright, since they represented the company.

I felt embarrassed for doubting Bright.

I was a little depressed. Bright turned in his chair to face me and crossed his legs. Then, with a playful look on his face, he asked me, "So what did you think? It's been a while since we've had a job with a place like that. I'm curious what they're like now. Are they still as weirdly elegant as they used to be?"