The promise of seven lifetimes

1965, Mayfair Resort, Darjeeling

It was a very ordinary day and Shefali could not decide how it should be. Like shouldn't the sun appear brighter, the birds merrier, on her wedding day? She shivered as she walked on the cold and expensive marble floor, the chill crawled up to her throat. The heavy jewellery ornamenting her and the Nauvari saree tightly draped around did nothing to avert the process.

Beauty has its price. Currently, it seemed Talukdar was willing to spend a lot more on the Mayfair marriage hall, than Shefali on herself. The Sikdar zamindars were lavish people and when you build your personality making money it gets difficult to put an expense limit on matching it. Shefali however must be above the beauty surrounding her, she is the bride, even if it meant taking three baths a day in two degrees.

She stood up from her chair and walked out without looking into the mirror. She felt very reassured with the three attendants painting her face for the past three hours. Virgil suddenly walked in through the open doors with an astonishing force. The sound startled Shefali however she felt a deep layer in her jaw cracking as she tried to widen her lips. The mascara wanted to hold her smile in place.

"You're ready, good!" Virgil checked his wristwatch, "They'll be here any moment!" Virgil paused looking out the door, now that his daughter was beautified it was time for her to be punctual. Then Virgil turned around and looked Shefali top to bottom, "You look...good! Come down, quick." and he walked away.

Shefali followed her father down the stairs. She found her mind unusually quiet during the descent. Only after she reached the last step, she felt the desperate urge to talk to her father. She tried to extend her right hand but Virgil walked away, there was a commotion at the entrance. Nandan was here. Then she felt her dress's pleats, this saree was heavy! This rattled her, she was sure of her commitment, it was just...

Shefali blankly stood at the landing. A narrow door led to the main hall, where at one end was a pedestal for the couple to sit. A pandemonium was built centrally, where the main function would take place. Shefali kept looking at the crowd who had their eyes on the arriving bridegroom.

At that moment, Shefali noticed the woman in the off-white saree. She was dressed similarly to Shefali, minus the veil. The dress was rightly wound around herself, loose and tight in all the right parts. Shefali looked down her dress, the coroner will have a tough time removing this from her cold corpse. But the woman moved about seamlessly, the Nauvari made her more free rather than weighing her down.

"Nervous!?" the woman said. Shefali did not notice when she came so close. She must have a very soft step.

"No," Shefali tried not to mean exactly the opposite.

"I'd tell you that you're not alone but until the oath by fire, that's kind of true!"

"Shefali."

"Shreema", the woman said in a musical voice, "I'm an old acquaintance of Talukdar!"

Shefali widened her brows and looked past the crowd to the empty pandemonium and the empty fireplace at the center of it. Then she peeked through the door to look at Nandan.

"So how come as a Christian you're following the Hindu way of marriage?" Shreema enquired

"I also happen to be Motherless, my aunt is the one receiving the groom but do you really want to talk about that?" Shefali upturned her lip, her mascara cracking again.

Shreema smiled and nodded her head, "Jadidang hridayang mama', tadastu' hridayang taba" Shreema breathed deeply, "Give thou your heart and I will give you mine!"

Shefali licked the inside of her lips and reveled in the realisation. She turned to Shreema, "It just feels like I'm changing too much while the world is fine staying the same!"

"Well people gather in crowds only on birthdays, weddings and funerals, that should tell you something!", Shreema laughed. Shefali laughed with her.

"Shefali!", Talukdar came out of nowhere. Shefali looked at him and immediately looked back at the gate.

"Yeah. Nandan is not here yet," Talukdar assured, "can I borrow Shreema for a moment?"

Shefali nodded in assurance and watched as her father in law dragged her new friend to the side.

"What did you tell Nandan about us!?" Talukdar asked softly.

"I didn't, he figured it out! More than what can be covered up!"

Talukdar suddenly changed his stance, "don't think you can keep us apart, do you want money?"

"I can take care of myself, even if I have to sell the temple grounds, I think I'll have all that I need!"

"Woman..." Talukdar raised his index finger.

"Listen old man..." Shreema stepped strongly on the marble floor, "scaring me when you're the one afraid, that is a conundrum that won't even let you die in peace! I don't want anything from you!" Shreema started walking away.

Talukdar gathered his dhoti before grabbing her arm, "did you drop the child?"

Shreema immediately clutched her belly, "I'll say this one time. Stay away!"

"Everything okay!" Shefali enquired.

"Yes. Hey, tell you what. You go marry your man, I promise to make the world change and grow with you!"