The Mangled Orchids

The next day began differently for Vaibhav. The Jeep jerked on its entire way through the remnants of the 'military road' that formed the oldest section of Tenzing Norgay highway connecting Darjeeling to Kurseong. Biraj quietly sat in the front seat. The constable driving the jeep and the one sitting with Vaibhav at the back weren't up for a conversation either. Vaibhav was just staring outside the window, as they climbed the range. The sun shone brighter illuminating the valley below, which went further away and seemed to get more beautiful.

"People should throw away their guns and sit somewhere watching the valleys the whole day," Vaibhav said suddenly.

Biraj squinted his eyes and smiled from the corner of his lip, "I would very much like to know what motivates you to be the way you are."

Silence followed. Vaibhav absently smiled at Biraj and went back to watching the valley.

"You sure you don't want study the machines we found at the crash site?" enquired Biraj, turning back to face Vaibhav.

"No, this thing is bugging me." Vaibhav held up a laminated paper beside him.

"The portion you deciphered, Inspector identified it as a part of a manifesto dating to the early days of a Gorkha rebellion that happened in these areas," Biraj turned back to the front as he spoke, "but what exactly is the problem?"

"The words," said Vaibhav tracing the lines along the laminated paper, "this manifesto somehow doesn't feel like it's written from the heart, it is almost if someone crafted it! Words carefully chosen that are synonymous in both Rarhi and Terai dialects!"

The jeep stopped. Vaibhav got out of the car and looked up to the wide cathedral complex before him. Children in school uniforms playing on the green expanse before the building, some of them looking keenly at the new visitors, standing on the cemented lane that led into the complex. Biraj went to the security officer at the gate, who then went away to announce their arrival. The sun was overshadowed by clouds, plunging the school into grey shadows.

"Gives the place a gloomy freshness, don't you think?" Biraj questioned Vaibhav ushering a constable to properly park the jeep.

"Sunlight always this pleasant up here? Must be good for the school!"

"Basu!" came a course voice from inside the gate, a middle-aged man came up to Biraj and shook his hand, "they called but this damn storm has been playing havoc with the phones!"

"Principal," Biraj acknowledged, "This is Dr.Roy, the newest member of our force.... Vaibhav"

The principal shook hands vigorously and led them into the building. Biraj signalled the two constables to stand guard and walked into the school with Vaibhav.

Vaibhav noticed the bushes lining the road and ran his hands over the dewy cold of the white flowers until something pinched his hand. Vaibhav withdrew his hands, suddenly noticing some flowers drooping low among rows of plants standing straight.

"Someone walked over these flowers!" exclaimed Vaibhav.

This made the principal turn back, "yeah orchids can feel like thorns sometimes. Better not touch them!" the principal pointed at a signboard on the bush marked 'don't touch'.

"What are these?", Vaibhav enquired.

"Kurson rip orchids!" the principal chimed spreading his hands to the horizon, "as in the namesake of our school town, Kurseong!"

The principal led them to the northern end of the school and through a maze of doors. Passing a few classrooms on the way with all the students sitting in an order made Vaibhav a little uneasy. Some of them looked and smiled at Biraj as if hoping that the man in uniform has all the freedom in the world.

"So why are we here?", Vaibhav whispered to Biraj.

Biraj walked on looking at the signboards, "the inspector knows the guy who used to preach that manifesto. This is his signature here," Biraj pointed at the paper.

"So what is he, a teacher? Intellectual propaganda of some kind?"

The principal stopped in front of what used to be a teacher's room and he held up his hand pointing inside, "he has been a success on our school's seminar, I hope you don't scare him away Basu!"

"Seminar!?" Vaibhav raised his brows.

"Yeah the tour!", the principal said casually, "Schools around Darjeeling district are calling on old leaders, congress and opposition whose agendas have died out, political awareness for our students. They provide an insight into the context of the nation, our review is at second position in the entire district!", the principal ended proudly.

"Okay!" Biraj broke in, "I promise to behave! Come on rookie!"

Vaibhav grunted quietly and followed Biraj into the room. The room seemed larger than it was, owing to the four massive staff tables surrounded by empty chairs. The old man sat in the far corner of the room, staring out the window.

"So you think he will like you, he did work against the government!"

Biraj cringed and looked back at Vaibhav.

"Oh like you believe in 'political awareness!" he is probably saying things under duress from...."

"I believe that among the many reasons for a man to fight a war, one is that his children won't have to fight them. He was against the government but he also admired certain aspects. The Naxal agenda is based on making India great, he tells the children what he liked in the system, on how India is already great! Less Naxal sympathizers, we are all happy!"