𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 | 𝐂𝐨𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝

Start from the beginning

"Your coffee." His body towered over yours as he lent you your coffee, soon taking the seat to the fore of you. "Thanks." You awkwardly replied, blowing softly on the steaming beverage before taking a small sip out of the cup.

You then broke the ice, saying, "This is a nice place. Do you come here often?"

To your surprise, he found an immediate response. "Often might be a bit of an understatement. I always find myself passing by here on occasion. It's quaint, cozy... almost like the rooftop I met you at that night. It's a perfect escape, if need be." 

An escape?

"An escape from what?" You found yourself asking without the realization of doing so, letting your nosiness get the better of you. He met your gaze, his eyes cold and blank... and instantly, this led you to believe that you'd crossed the line.

"O...Oh, sorry. I shouldn't have. That was out of line." Surprisingly, however, he paid no attention to it. Rather, he shrugged it off. "To answer your question," He started, "It's an escape from reality. As harsh as that may seem, it's something we cannot avoid." You hummed, taking another sip out of your drink. "And you?"

His words were enough to bring you to an abrupt halt, the beating of your heart escalating suddenly. "Sorry?"

"Your escape. What is it?" Your... escape?

Thinking back to all the memories you'd made in the past, the small visages of the past that you cherished above all else.

Which of these memories did you cherish the most? Which of them, was suited to call an escape. Oh, that's right.

"The piano." You muttered with your head hung low, your voice just below a whisper.

As always, he remained utterly silent... a clear indication for you to elaborate.

Your hands trembled slightly with the cup of steaming dark liquid you held in your hands, the strong aroma of caffeine reaching your nostrils. At that very moment, you couldn't help but wonder if that had been the right answer.

But your thoughts and notions were endless, and you weren't exactly in the right state of mind to judge that fact. So, you continued as you were.

"It's something I've adored doing ever since I was a child. Though some may argue that it's just a stringed musical instrument with black and white keys,

in reality, it is so much more than that." Seeing as though he still hadn't stopped you from talking yet, you took this as a sign to further continue with your little rambling.

After all, this was a topic you could talk about for hours upon hours on end, and you'd never get tired of it. You presumed this was the true power of music, compelling, vivid— in and of itself.

"Those who are truly passionate about the piano are able to press the keys with such characteristic elegance and confidence that they always seem to portray on stage. And once they reach the ending of a piece without making any mistakes... accompanied only by the sound of that one final note - the feeling that comes afterwards is nothing short of pure bliss."

Just like that, all the memories you had of these moments began flooding back to you one after another.

You remembered the elegant way you would braid Andrea's hair, and the waves they left in her blond locks the next day.

As a kid, Andrea had loved her hair so much that she'd practically beg you to put her own hair in twin braids every day so that they would come out wavy.