Chapter 37 - Zayn

"I don't wanna be alone."

Niall's bruised face is filled with desperation as he utters that sentence. His voice strained from the lack of use over the past couple of days.

I feel my insides twist at the sight of my best friend. My brother. The man who would always light up the room with his infectious laughter. He looks so fucking broken.

And not just his body.

But it's like he's lost the light in his eyes. The glint that would instantly give you the urge to smile. It's been replaced by fear and darkness.

My heart cracks in half yet again as I feel tears brimming my eyes.

I swallow hard, reaching up to wipe away the tears coating Niall's cheeks, "I'll stay? Is that alright with you?"

Niall nods furiously, scooting over on the bed to make room for me. I make myself as comfortable as possible next to him. Letting him curl his broken body up and soak my clothes with his tears.

"You sure that doesn't hurt, bub?", I ask him when I suddenly remember his ribs. It's just wrong that two of the people I love has been hospitalized within the span of a week.

When Niall doesn't respond immediately, I get worried that something's wrong tilting his head to get a look at his face, seeing it scrunched up, his cheeks glistening.

A sob erupts from his body suddenly, instantly making me whisper soothing words in his ear while comforting him as best as I can. Niall clutches my clothes as if I was gonna disappear and leave him alone any second.

Once again, I wonder what happened to him to leave his spirit this broken as his broken cries echoes around the room, his body shaking with the force of them.

They tug at my heart, making drops of salt water roll down my own cheeks.

I hate Simon with everything I am. He took Niall and broke him. Our sweet Niall is broken. He's traumatized. I don't know how to console him right now. I don't know what to do to help. I don't know if he's crying because he's in pain or because he's remembering. I don't know what those bastards did to him when he was gone.

But I do know that if I see Simon he's gonna wish it was I who was in a car accident and not Louis.

"I was all alone.", Niall hiccups.

I snap my eyes to look at him, keeping quiet to give him the chance to talk more. Even though his voice is raspy and hacks like a broken record, I still worried that I would never hear it again.

"I was left all alone in that fucking room. That's all I can remember, Zee. I don't remember what they did to me, I just know I was alone. I was so alone.", Niall's being cut off by another wave of sobs, his face once again buried in the material covering my thin chest.

I bring my hand up to the back of his head in a protective manner. "Shh, Ni. You're not alone anymore. You hear me? You have me and the boys. We're not gonna leave you ever. You'll get so sick of us, you know. Hell, I'll join you in the shower if that's what it takes to make you feel better. Well, that's if you promise to behave. Wouldn't want Li to get jealous now, would we?"

I earn a light laugh from that, making me smile. Even in his condition, he's still the Niall we know and love.

I don't care how long it takes to get him back fully, but I'll do whatever it takes. I meant what I said. If a shower buddy makes him feel better, I'll be his fucking shower buddy.

"Can't promise I'll be able to contain myself with you and your naked glory, babe.", Niall jokes back. I can practically hear the smirk in his voice, letting out a chuckle myself.