Seven

October 5 1996

Carla

I was in shock, trying to assimilate what Commissioner had just told us. My legs refused to hold me and I almost crumbled on the nearest chair. I felt Jerry and Scott hugging me but I wasn't able to say a single word.

"I will find him, I promise." Jerry said in a comforting  tone. He gave me a significant look before leaving the room.

I took a deep breath  and lit a cigarette I had in my purse., somehow trying to calm down my anxiety. Scott hadn't said a word, he was just walking all along the small interrogation room. He looked at me when I lit the cigarette, and took it from me.

"Thought you didn't smoke." I said.  Guess I needed some small talk.

"Only when I'm nervous, last time I smoked was before my Chemistry test last year in my finals, remember? The one I was sure I would fail."

"And you got a B, yes, I remember. My turn." I took the cigarette back "You're too young to smoke, Scott."

"I need it right now."

"I know, but let my experience talk, it's an artificial way to calm you." I put the cigarette in the ashtray. "Your father will find Billy, you'll see."

"I wish I was so sure." He said almost inaudibly "What if he's hurt, or..."

"He won't! He can't." I yelled "I know it, and a mother does know these things." I was maybe trying to convince myself .

Scott took the cigarette and gave it a long shot. Then, with a rage gesture, he put it on the ashtray again. He started again walking all along the room, just like a caged lion would do.

"I hadn't felt like this since Billy had appendicitis." He finally said "Fuck, I just wish I could do something."

"I know how you feel...you know, I wish I hadn't had that stupid argument. Maybe if I hadn't asked him to give me his car, this wouldn't have happened." I wiped away some tears with my hand "Let's go for a walk, okay? Your father won't be here in one hour or so, and staying here will drive me mad too."

"But he asked us to wait."

"Just a small walk around the precinct, I need it too. We'll tell the officers by the entrance we'll be back in no time."

"Okay." Scott followed me to the door. I informed the officer in the reception desk we wouldn't go far and we walked out in the street. There was a van parked not far away from the precinct, with no one in it. I took a  quick look all around , there was no one in sight. 

"Sorry, you know the way to the bean?" Someone asked behind us. Scott turned around, startled and so did I. "We're lost, we have to meet a friend at the bean." There were two men in front of us.

"The bean? It's kinda far from here." Scott told the men. "You have to get to the end of the street, then turn left. Then, you'll find a roundabout, and it's better if you ask again there."

"Thanks kid, you've been really helpful. Have a nice day." The men got into the van and drove away.

"Wasn't that weird? I mean, they could have asked in the precinct how to get to the bean. "

"What a difference does it make? C'mon, we'd better get back ."

"There's a cafeteria there, I would like to call Pam and tell her what happened."

"Okay, but hurry up. I'll have a coffee while you call her."

Jerry took half an hour or so to arrive. He was agitated and nervous and asked us to sit. 

"Any  news?" I asked anxiously .

"No, it's almost sure he was there but we have to verify it at a hundred percent. I brought Billy's comb to compare his fingerprints with the ones the forensic team found there." He turned  to Scott. "There's something more. Someone left a message in our voice mail. Fuck, this isn't easy to say. Scott, I think you'll be safer in Florida with my sister."

I'm not going anywhere!" He protested "Not until..."

"Scott, listen to me. I have to think of your safety now. Someone called and made a direct threat about you. Please don't make things more difficult. It will be a question of time, I promise." Jerry turned to me looking for back up.

"I won't resist it if something happened to you too." I agreed with Jerry "As much as I will miss you, I think your father is right."

"I understand that, but why do I have to go? I can stay with any of my friends, or at Pam's."

"No, Scott. I've been thinking about it on my way here." Jerry answered "I will call Helen later and tell her you're going. And in the meantime, you will stay at Kerstin's. I can't put you at risk."

"At Kerstin's? Why can't I stay at home until I leave?" 

"It's dangerous, those people know our phone number and probably our address too.  Look, I know it will be hard but right now I can't take care of your safety as I should do, that's why I'm asking you to go. It won't last long, I promise." Jerry was being really convincing.

"Fine, guess I have no chance." Scott gave up. 

"Unfortunately no, this is the only way we have to keep you safe. Kerstin will take you home to pick your things and then you'll go to her house." Jerry explained. He then turned to me "Carla, maybe you shouldn't be at home either. " I was about to protest but Jerry gestured me to listen to him "We'll  put a device transferring here each  and every phone call they make, and we will manage to trace them."

"And what about you, Dad? Where will you stay?" 

"Here, we have a small room with one bed. But I won't be able to rest that much until I bring Billy back."