Chapter 11 | A pitchfork in the stomach.

THIS HALLOWEEN PARTY EVENT WAS going to be a big deal

THIS HALLOWEEN PARTY EVENT WAS going to be a big deal. After I'd confirmed with my mom that it was actually real, my mind started spinning with ideas about what could possibly happen that night.

My parents have never been the type to hold parties at our houses. They've always been the "let's rent a building although one of our many houses could fit over fifty people" type of people. I wanted to ask them what made them decide on holding it at the house but I would definitely be pushing it if I did.

But yeah, this was BIG news.

Which happens to take us to the present.

Now.

"Kals, I think showing up as a donut to the party will end up with you getting a pitchfork in the stomach."

Normani was the first person I told about this news. Needless to say, she was excited. She asked if I had told Kayson yet but I'd shaken my head no and left it at that.

The extended details on the event also mentioned a plus one card would be in the invitation envelope along with a separate RSVP card. It's not that I didn't want Kayson to come with me, I did, but there were a few complications if he did.

There was also a costume requirement for the party. Although I'd bet three of my favorite donuts that more than half of the guests were going to wear suits and dresses, put on a mask, and then say it's a costume.

Losers.

It's their loss. I'm not following them down that path so I'm here with Normani to look for a potential matching outfit set to wear with my cousin, Thea.

I'd spoken with her and asked if she received an invite and would be coming to the party.

A few hours later, she finally responded that she and her brother, Theo, would be joining. While Thea and I were on the phone we argued for thirty minutes straight about what the theme of our matching outfits would be. In the end, we played rock, paper, scissors, shoot to see who could pick.

I won and then hung up on her to call Normani and go shopping for costumes.

"SERENA VAN DER WOODSEN AND BLAIR WALDORF."

My eardrums have been shattered.

A lightbulb had just lit up above Normani's beaming heart-shaped face.

"That sounds like a fantastic idea, Nor, but next time, can you not yell the idea while I'm right next to you?" I rubbed my ears and looked around the mall to see if anyone was staring at us.

Normani just shrugged and continued walking her way towards the food court. "Are you hungry? Cause I am and I need to have a full stomach before the drive-in event with the cheerleaders."

***

"So you're telling me we won't be able to dress up as Starbucks and Dunkin' this year? After months of planning it?" That ladies and gentlemen is a grumpy Kayson whining about our ruined Halloween plans.