Chapter 10 | Hi, Mom.

A WEEK HAS PASSED SINCE the whole fiasco with Kayson's father

It's been a week since I mysteriously left my best friend from the bed he had spent the entire night crying on. 

It's been a week since we talked about it.

It's been a week since my parents arrived in Riverside. 

Friday nights are to be spent drinking, partying, Netflix. Not spending hours trying to freshen up your house because of the anxiousness that coursed through your veins knowing that your parents would be arriving sometime soon. 

Their arrival was worse than I expected, but I suppose I should've guessed since their only child wasn't there when they stepped inside. 

When I finally made my appearance early Saturday morning with my hair looking like a rat's nest, mascara smeared across my face from crying, and absolutely no suggestion that my Friday night had been spent crying instead of whatever the hell my mom was thinking when she had seen me, I knew I was in deep shit.

The disapproving look on her face had only worsened when she saw the mud that I accidentally brought inside because the fucking lawn was still wet with rainwater. So, my Saturday was certainly the event of the century.

The only good thing that had happened was my father was still asleep from the jet lag so he hadn't seen me. I only had to face one music, not two. Thank god. These reoccurring daddy issues this past week will be the death of me. 

On the bright side, I got a job at the diner so I would have an excuse to leave the house because they were apparently staying for quite some time as my father revealed once he'd finally woken up. 

Of course, I didn't mention that the job was at a diner because god forbid their only child would be working for someone instead of working for her but it's honestly not too bad. I get to choose when I work because they weren't understaffed, I'd get paid, and free meals which lead us to this fine Friday afternoon. 

"Did you know the inventor of the Pringles can is buried in one?" This job obviously has its benefits but it also brought a few misfortunes like Kayson and Slater thinking they can get free food since I work here. 

We were currently sitting at one of the booths as I took a quick ten-minute break, this place gets busy during the afternoons, especially Fridays. Kayson and Slater were currently working on a small extra credit assignment together for a health class they're taking and decided to work here of all places for free food. 

"What does that have to do with your assignment, Slater?" I respond, not taking my eyes off Kayson's laptop screen as he clicked through numerous links for a source of information on whatever their topic was. 

"It doesn't have anything to do with the assignment, smart one, it's just my way of telling you I'm hungry."

I stood up from my seat and quickly slapped the back of Slater's head before rushing back to the counters to continue my shift. The Autumn wind filled the place as customers filed in and out of the diner.