Chapter 00 | AHA! DONUTS.

"I JUST FIND IT FUNNY how we've been best friends for an entire year now and I've still not gotten to see your house," my best friend, Kayson, stated, breaking the calm silence between us

We were currently sprawled out on his bed, our feet entangled and staring at the star-covered ceiling. No, we're not dating. We're just really good friends. A few of our other friends had begged to differ but over time we'd both learned to ignore their opinions on our friendship.

Kayson and I were your local pranksters. No, seriously, our tiny town, Riverside, had given us that title when we'd pranked just about everyone in our school. As a matter of fact, Kayson and I were currently planning our latest prank which we'd test on the Superintendent, Mr. Yokes.

"Earth to Kalle! Is there a brain in there?" he snapped his fingers at my stormy gray eyes, the sound bringing me back to reality.

I slapped his hand away from my face and huffed, "Yes, dumbass. I was wondering the same about you!"

"Great minds think alike."

I rolled my eyes and pushed myself up off the bed. Kayson groaned and stuffed his face in his star-shaped pillow.

Yes, he was that type of kid that had an astrology phase when he was young.

"You didn't answer my question!" he pointed out; his voice muffled.

I ignored him yet again and walked over to his messy oakwood desk to grab the balloons containing teal paint and pink glitter inside them. I know, this one's a bit old school but we had to go for a subtle prank, or else we'd enter the boarding school fantasy our parents created for us.

"At least you've met my parents," I muttered, trying to avoid the conversation yet again.

He hummed in response, not pushing the conversation any further.

I hear a click behind me and swiftly turn around to see Kayson with his camera, the strap loosely hanging around his neck.

When did he have time to grab that?

He looks at the picture and I see a small smile playing on his lips. I rush to him and jump on the bed.

"I guess you actually took people's advice and took a picture so it'd last longer," I comment while sniggering. He rolls his eyes and tries to smack me with a pillow but I dodge it in time.

"Miss Landers' weekend photography challenge was to take a picture of someone without having them pose, you just happened to be an example of that at the moment."

Miss Landers was Riverside High's photography teacher. She reminded me of the Magic School Bus lady besides the magic bus part.

My parents disagreed with the school board on having a teacher like her be a part of the staff due to lack of professionalism but didn't argue much about it.