Chapter 22 - Questions with Some Answers

Start from the beginning

I patted him on the knee to let him know I was teasing him before turning back to Brynn, "Do you want to take the train in with us or meet us there?" 

"I'll take the train," Brynn smiled. 

"Do you want to come over to my house to get ready the night of the dance?" Mia leaned forward. 

Brynn shook her head no, "I'm going to get ready with Sarah and Sophie."

"Why would you do that? I thought you weren't going to hang out with Sarah anymore?" Drew asked, poking at his cold slice of pizza on the plate in front of him. 

Brynn and I shared a look, knowing that our secret about Sarah and Austin's relationship was just between her, Mia, and me. "I don't want anyone from that group to start questioning things. If Austin gets even a hint about what we have planned, he won't show up, and this will all be for nothing." 

Brynn leaned forward and put her chin in her hand, "I may not be able to stand to be in the same room as them, but there is no way I'm going to let my feelings get in the way of putting Austin in his place. Not after everything he's done." 

Drew nodded his head in appreciation, "my sister is going to freak once she realizes she's lost the queen B's friendship." 

"It doesn't matter anymore, Drew," Brynn chided, "it's pointless to try and be popular. Especially if you get rid of everything you used to like about yourself to do so." 

"I know, you don't have to lecture me," Drew huffed. 

Before the tension between Drew and Brynn got too thick, the lovely Patrick interrupted the conversation again. "30 seconds left to turn in your answers!" 

"Well, this sucks," Mia laughed, "does anyone have an idea what the answer is?"

"Just put down herd or something," Trevor instructed. We watched as Mia scribbled down an answer and made her way to Patrick's set up to place our response in his basket. 

. . . . . 

After 45 minutes of chit-chat, clueless answers, and thankfully some laughter, we took 5th place and made our way to the parking lot. "Did you have fun tonight?" I asked Drew. He nodded his head, and a hint of a smile made its way to the corner of his lips, "It wasn't so bad. Thanks for the invite" He turned to Brynn, who was glued to her phone, and he poked her cheek to get her attention, "where did you park?"

She slipped her phone into her purse and pointed to the overflow lot across the street. Drew nodded goodbye to Oscar and me, "I'm gonna walk Brynn to her car." With a questioning look towards Drew, Brynn waved goodbye, and the pair walked away in quiet conversation.

"We're around back," motioned Trevor. "See you tomorrow you guys," George hugged everyone goodbye, and they made their way around the building hand in hand. 

 "You know, I think I can live with taking fifth place," Mia skipped next to us.

"Oh really?" Oscar scoffed. 

"Yes really! It's much better than 12th," Mia bumped him in the hip before grabbing Paige's hand and dragging her away towards Mia's car. "See ya tomorrow!" 

Oscar slipped his hand in mine and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Do you have to be home right away?" 

I glanced at the time on my phone, "I think I can spare another hour or so. Although I have to be back by 11:30 at the latest, or else my mom will start to freak." 

"Perfect," Oscar smiled, pulling my hand towards his lips for a quick kiss on my knuckles. Before he could pull away, I tugged on his arm and pulled him towards me for a real kiss. When we finally broke for air, I laughed and traced his adorable dimple with the pad of my thumb, "you can't get away with just kisses on the hands anymore. I won't allow it."