Chapter Twenty One - Kinsley

Start from the beginning

"N-nothing." I said in a shaky voice as I took a step back.

"Don't fucking lie to me, Kinsley."

Taking another step backwards as he advanced toward me, my mind started racing through everything I knew about the dangerous families that Tyson and Dane was a part of. This wasn't a fairytale, it wasn't a romantic movie... this was the mafia and I was surrounded by dangerous men.

My chest started to heave with nervous breaths as Tyson continued his forward motion with his serious gaze and his shoulders pinned back like a predator.

"Don't make me ask you again. What did you see?" He commanded again, raising the volume of his voice.

It was obvious that I saw something or someone I wasn't supposed to and I was too nervous to consider the consequences for my misstep.

"I-I didn't mean to...I was j-just trying to...I'm sorry." I stuttered and stammered as I backed up, trying to put space between us, but failing to match the length of his strides.

Feeling a dresser at my back, I pressed myself against it as Tyson ate up the distance between us and towered over me. There was nowhere else for me to physically retreat to, so I retreated inwardly. My posture cowered and slumped and I immediately shot my gaze to the floor, unable to look him in the eyes. He seemed angry and I wasn't sure if I could handle him being angry with me.

"Look at me, Kinsley." He ordered.

My head lifted before I could command it to, feeling my body respond to his commands and inner need to please him. His brows were lowered and his expression was serious...deadly.

"Are you scared of me?" He asked as he planted one of his hands on the tall dresser behind me.

I mulled over his question carefully.

Am I scared of Tyson? Would he actually harm me in any way? - No. I know he wouldn't, no matter what I did to piss him off, I don't think he'd ever hurt me.

"No." I answered, looking him directly in the eyes.

"Why not?"

His question quieted my racing pulse, slowing it enough to remember that Tyson was an intimidating and powerful man, but that he never wanted me to be scared of him.

"Because I trust you." I answered immediately, feeling my breathing start to slow.

"Good girl." He praised, brushing a strand of hair away from my face. "Now tell me what you saw, baby." He said in a tone that was still firm, but had soft edges.

I swallowed hard as I recalled the images that had flashed across the screen.

"A man...he was bleeding...shot and cut into p-pieces..." I said, trying to hide the fear in my voice.

"I did that...That was my handy work." Tyson said, studying my face for a reaction.

I figured that was true, but didn't know for sure.

"That man tried to harm one of the families...Gia's family to be exact and he paid dearly for it, I made sure of that."

I gulped, taking down a thick swallow as my mouth turned to cotton with images of Tyson breaking bones and tearing flesh flashing hot in my mind.

"I'm a fucking monster Kinsley...What you saw is what I do. It's my responsibility."

I nodded my head, indicating that I understood what he was saying, but I couldn't find any words to say.

"I'm not Dane." He added.

"I don't want you to be Dane." My response was faster than I had intended, but it was the honest truth.

"Can you handle the fact that I kill people for a living?" He asked, narrowing his eyes as he studied my face, looking for any signs of hesitation.

My gaze was unwavering, but I would be lying if that question didn't make me nervous.

"You don't kill without cause." I asked in a half question half statement.

"Never. I punish those who deserve it and protect the families." Tyson confirmed.

"I can handle that." I said softly.

The corner of Tyson's mouth tipped slightly into a small grin that put me at ease.

"Good...but I don't want you seeing that shit anymore. I need you to be seperate from that."

There was a little bit of pain behind Tyson's eyes as he spoke and I wanted to rid him of it immediately.

"I won't sneak up on you like that ever again. I'm sorry."

Tyson gave me a nod of approval and grabbed my chin, pressing his lips against mine with an intense kiss that made my knees feel weak.

"You hungry?" He asked as he pulled away.

"I could eat," I said with a smile.

"Okay, let's get you fed first, then I'll take you home."

Tyson took a step back, allowing me to slide past him to get dressed, but before I moved, I raised up onto my tip toes and kissed a trail up his chest and neck. Tyson felt different than Dane - he smelled different - tasted different.

I felt Tyson's deep laugh vibrate from his throat against my lips as I continued to kiss him for as long as he'd let me. He soaked up my kisses, closing his eyes briefly which I loved.

That's it big guy, let me in.

"Are we going somewhere or are we going to cook?" I asked against his skin.

Pulling away from me, he arched a brow at me and eyed me up and down as if I'd lost my mind.

"Cook?" He scoffed.

"Yeah cook...you know with the pans and the stove...those big metal things in your kitchen?" I said with a laugh.

"Watch it, little smartass." Tyson chuckled.

"I'm going to take that to mean we're going somewhere. I'll go get dressed." I said, planting one last peck on his jawline.

He gave me a playful swat on the ass as I headed for the bathroom, prompting me to giggle and squeak like a schoolgirl, loving the attention.

As I started to get ready a few thoughts remained in the forefront of my mind.

Dane and Tyson are dangerous, but they are no danger to me.

They are ruthless killers, but they're mine...and they'd never hurt me.

Being the only woman with the ability to tame these wild beasts made me feel different, made me feel confident. I felt...powerful.