Chapter 31: Christmas

Asuna POV:

I gripped Kirito's hand tightly as we returned to the cabin. His hand was bigger than I thought, it surrounded my soft, slender hand warmly. Our fingers intertwined, fitting perfectly with the other's.

As I got out of this train of thought, the first thing I noticed upon entering the cabin was the teasing looks on our friends' faces causing me to become flustered.

"I can't believe you guys saw us," I said, hiding my face with my free hand, embarrassed.

"It's your fault for doing it in a conspicuous place," Liz said.

I couldn't really refute her. Though, I wouldn't change where it was for the world.

"You have some bad timing Kirito," Eiji said.

"W-What's that supposed to mean?!" Kirito said.

"That you have bad timing."

The raven-haired boy sighed and I giggled as I calmed down from the others seeing us earlier. I let go of Kirito's hand to go sit down but felt a slight urge to continue holding it. And to my surprise, Kirito grabbed my hand once again.

"I'm not letting you go that easily." He said.

After hearing his words, I smiled, choosing not to let go of his hand for now. Since dinner was over only the leftovers were left on the dining table.

"We'll clean up! You guys just sit back and relax!" Eugeo said.

"No, we'll help too," Kirito said.

"It's the least we could do for ruining your little moment."

"You're only saying that so I won't punish you later."

"W-Well, maybe that's part of it."

"What do you think?" Kirito turned to me.

"Hmm, well, I'd feel bad if don't help out so we might as well," I said.

"And there's your answer." He turned back to Eugeo.

"Asuna please~ Let us do it! God knows what he'll do to me later!" Eugeo bowed before me.

"Uh... Come on, everyone! We have a lot to clean up!" I said, ignoring him.

"Noooo!!"

Eiji patted his back sympathetically as he, I assumed, was also afraid of what Kirito might do to him. Kirito and I reluctantly rose from our seats and with one last squeeze from both our hands, let go of each other.

I walked behind the kitchen counter and turned to everyone else, "Let's start!"

The others slowly followed after me. I saw Kirito stop Bercouli from helping us and told him to relax for the rest of the evening before coming over to help.

There were a lot more dishes during dinner than there were at lunch so 2 or 3 people wouldn't be enough to clean all of this. I looked at the kitchen clock. It was 9:52.

An idea came to mind and I turned to the others, "Let's make sure we finish cleaning up before 11!"

They looked at the clock and Eugeo said, "With this much and that soon, it would take a miracle."

"Not unless we do you-know-what," Kirito smirked.

Eugeo turned to him in surprise while the others and I looked at them in curiosity.

"Seriously? We haven't done that in years! What if something shatters?"

"Don't worry about it." Kirito waved his hand around, "Our reflexes have gotten better since then anyway."