Chapter 43: An Unrequited Love

Kirito POV:

I stretched up in the air and looked down at the ladder I was on, "Is there anything else left to do?"

Asuna checked her clipboard before looking back, "No, that should be it for your class for now."

I sighed and looked to my right at Eugeo. He folded a piece of paper into a lotus flower origami then placed some tape at its back and was about to stick to above the entrance to the gymnasium. I crumpled up a piece of paper and like a baseball threw it at his face.

His eyes bulged when he was hit as the ladder he was on shook. The people below him held it in place as he looked at me with an exasperated look.

"I could've fallen off, you know!" He said.

"Hahaha, you did well keeping your balance." I said.

"It's not funny."

I turned to the hand his origami was in and laughed even more.

"What is it?" He said. I pointed to the origami as he clenched his jaw and crumpled up the paper before throwing it at me. "This is your fault!"

"Yeah, yeah, and it's yours for gripping it tightly."

"I wouldn't have gripped it at all if you hadn't thrown something at me!"

I shrugged as he sighed knowing he'd get nowhere from scolding me and looked down at Alice, "Do we have any more paper?"

Alice checked a box and revealed that it was empty, "Kirito, go get a box of them in the storage room."

"Why do I have to go?" I said.

"This wouldn't have happened if you didn't waste our paper. Now go." She glared at me.

I stiffened under her gaze as I got down the ladder, "Fine. Where in the backroom is it at exactly?"

"It should be somewhere around the back area."

"Thanks. That's really helpful." I said exasperated before dragging my feet to the gymnasium's backroom.

I flipped the switches of the storage room on and stepped in. There were no windows in sight so the heat was unbearable. I better find this box quick. I went to the back of the room like Alice said and opened box after box after box but none of them had any blank pieces of paper in them.

I even found some... Questionable material, to say the least. I wondered what something like that was doing in a school before shrugging it off and returning my focus to the task at hand.

I tightened my core as I lifted a box of sports equipment before setting it down and opening the box that was under it.

I sighed as I finally found the box of papers and closed it. As I lifted the box, however, my eyes widened. Hidden behind the box and leaning against the wall was Sinon.

I raised an eyebrow wondering what she was doing here when I noticed some liquid in her closed eyes. I set down the box of papers as I crouched on the ground.

I wondered why she couldn't hear me but saw her wearing earphones. I snapped my fingers in front of her and she jumped up. She looked around the backroom before landing on me.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" I said.

She seemed to have returned to her senses as she rose and left the room before I could say another word. What just happened? Why was she crying?

I pinched the bridge of my nose as I just stumbled on yet another problem. How do I keep getting myself into these things? At any rate, I picked up the box of papers and left the room to return to Eugeo.