Chapter 30: I Love You

-4 hours later-

Third Person POV:

Asuna twisted a towel releasing the water from it before placing it on Kirito's forehead. She sighed as she stared at his face.

"Sugu was right, what were you thinking?" She said.

Unexpectedly, Kirito's eyes flickered open. His eyes surveyed the ceiling before landing on Asuna's face.

"Asuna?" He sat up as a sharp pain ran through his head. The pain swelled and he held his head as he gritted his teeth.

It took a moment but the pain eventually subsided and he asked, "What happened?"

"Don't push yourself. You drank too much wine with Bercouli." Asuna said.

"Right, I remember now..." Kirito trailed off.

Asuna tried to lay him back down but Kirito didn't want to.

"I'm fine." He said. "Could you get me some water?"

Asuna gave him a nearby glass and Kirito drank it. A rush of relief ran through his body.

"Haa~" He exhaled.

Kirito tried to stand but Asuna pushed him back down.

"Not yet, mister. You still have a lot of alcohol in your system." Asuna said.

Asuna wasn't budging on this and Kirito didn't try to argue since he was still tired from just recently waking up.

"Yes, ma'am." He said.

He looked around the living room. To his surprise, their presents were under the Christmas tree, and tables were set up around it where he assumed food was going to be placed later on. However, he noticed something odd though.

"Where are the others?" He said.

"Outside, playing in the snow." Asuna said.

"You're not going with them?"

"It's my turn to look after you so I can't just leave."

Kirito felt bad so he looked around the living room for anything they could do together while he was out of commission. His eyes caught the chessboard Eugeo and Eiji were playing several hours earlier.

"You wanna play?" He gestured to the board.

"Hmm?" Asuna turned to the chessboard. "I'd love to, but I've never played."

"Then I'll teach you." Kirito offered.

He grabbed the chessboard and set up the game. He had the black pieces while Asuna had the white ones.

"Okay, do you at least know the basic rules?" Kirito asked.

"Yeah, white moves first and which pieces do this and that." Asuna replied.

Kirito nodded, "Good. Since it's still your first time we won't be using the timer."

He gestured for Asuna to begin and she made her move. After multiple moves, and due to still being slightly drunk, Kirito realized he was in quite a tight spot.

He chuckled internally, "My queen is trapped."

He glanced at Asuna, who had her brows furrowed as she stared at the board, and smiled.

"Despite this game being her first, she's not bad." He made his next move, giving up on saving his queen.

As he expected, Asuna took his queen and he went along with his plan. He wasn't going to hold back any longer since it'd be embarrassing if he lost against her.