Chapter 16: Transfer Students

-2 days later-

Kirito POV:

It was Monday and summer vacation was finally over. I had gone to the summer festival with the others last Friday and I had quite a good time.

I was glad that I managed to do things during the summer besides my projects so I'm grateful to all of them.

I was currently walking into the school campus and was in the lobby. I walked down the school hallway and headed to my locker where I kept my books.

Even though I've memorized them, they still required us to bring them due to having us answer a page or two in it. As I placed my books inside my backpack, I was met by Eiji and Yuna.

"Hey, last time was a blast!" Yuna said, cheerfully.

"It sure was." I replied with a smile.

I closed my locker and turned to both of them.

"Let's hang out again sometime." Yuna asked me.

"Yeah, you're done with your projects, right?" Eiji added.

"Uh, yeah. I'll think about it." I replied.

"Kirito!"

I turned to the sound of Yuuki's energetic voice and saw her waving at us as she along with Asuna, Liz, and Silica walked over to us.

"Oh, hey. We were just talking about hanging out together again." Yuna said.

A smile formed on Yuuki's face at what Yuna just said, "Really?! I can't wait!" She said, excitedly.

All I could do was smile at them as they happily discussed hanging out together again. I had a greater time with them than I thought. I glanced at Asuna and saw her staring at me.

She quickly looked away, which piqued my interest. I was still slightly confused by what she said at the festival.

"If she doesn't like anyone then what were they talking about?" I thought.

I was going to speak to her but was cut off when the school bell rang.

"Well, we better get going. We wouldn't want to be late." Liz said.

"Yeah, good idea." Asuna agreed.

Eiji and I said our goodbyes to the girls and left the go to our classroom. We were the only boys in the group so we had to separate from them due to not being in the same class.

When we arrived, nearly everyone was already in their seats. However, there were still some talking to one another. A few students were still standing around and talking with their friends since Fanatio-sensei still wasn't there.

Eiji and I walked past them and went to our seats. I placed my bag on the ground like usual as I sat down. Curiously, there was an empty seat in front of Eiji's.

I turned to him to ask, "Hey, is someone absent?"

He looked to the seat in front of him in confusion as he answered, "I don't know, it doesn't seem like it."

At his answer, I looked around the classroom to see if anyone was absent. I had memorized everyone's names and their seating positions since the first day.

Something caught my eye, a lone seat at the back of the first column. The person who sat in that seat was, from what I remember, the person who used to sit in the seat in front of Eiji.

"Why is he sitting there?" I thought, confused.

There were only supposed to be 30 students in my class, but with the uneven number of seats, one would obviously assume that a new student was coming.