Chapter 31

Chapter 31

James and I sat quietly at our table. It was situated at a corner, so less eyes were shot in our direction. And for that I was grateful. For suddenly, I lost my appetite to eat, even though, this is one of the few places around the world where you can eat good sea food. I know that because I've been told. I don't even like sea food, but that's how I ordered my plate anyways. I don't know why if you ask, my brain has been playing lots of tricks lately.

I continued picking at my food and tried to ignore the fact the James has been staring at me for the past minute. I was hoping he'd just come up with something to say, because the silence was unbearable. I looked up at James who was still staring at me, and our eyes met for a second.

"You're not eating, Anna." he stated.

"Oh, I am, I'm just a little full." I lied. It wasn't about the food as it was about my mind. It was more that my mind had other things to worry about. Take Logan kissing that girl for an example.

"You sure?" he pushed. "Yea," I replied determined not to break down.

I picked up my fork and started eating my food again, secretly hoping it would suddenly taste better, at least up to my par. But it didn't. So it only took a few minutes longer for me to start picking at it again. I put down the fork silently. I took hold of the glass of water in front of me only to realise it was empty. I stretched out my arm to reach for the bottle of water, but he beat me to it. And our fingers brushed for a split second. And suddenly all I could think about was that he was wearing the same perfume he wore when we had our "seven minutes in heaven".

I recalled how his kiss made everything fall right into place. But that was only just a feeling, nothing true. Nothing has been right about that night. Nothing.

He poured me a glass of water and I realised how intensive my gaze was so I lowered it. I drank all the water, suddenly recognising how dehydrated my body was.

"Thank you," I said.

"Don't mention it," he replied with a smile that made the pearls inside his mouth, that are his teeth, shine through the dim light. I returned his smile because that was only common sense. We stayed like that for a bit until a throat was cleared.

I looked to my side where a waiter, or a garçon how I'd rather call him, waiting there. "Would you like to have anything to drink with your plate, Miss?" He asked. I was silent for a while but then I said it. It came out of my mouth. "Wine." I replied. Why, I had no idea. I didn't drink alcohols. At all. And was determined never to. I was surprised and a little bit stunned. Even James was staring at me, his mouth a little agape, but he said nothing. He just looked to the garçon's direction and ordered the same thing, "Wine."

"I thought you never drink, Anna." James said looking at me. Heat rushed to my cheeks and I was lost for words. What on Earth was happening to me?

"Me, too." The words slipped out of my mouth. I was still stunned. Surprised, and a little bit struck. He stretched out his hands and took mine in his. His hands were warm and big, and they just felt protective. Though, when he began drawing circles on my hand, I recalled our kiss, and my call with Melody. Was she..? Could it even be possible?

Melody was jealous?

I thought about shaking my head but decided against it. That would be too obvious. So I just pulled my hand back to hold my fork, just to give it some use. He cleared his throat and began picking at his food again. He reached out for some water, but the garçon has returned now, so he just reached for wine bottle instead.

He poured some for himself, and some for me. I was a little scared. I watched carefully as James confidently took a gulp, so I reached for my glass.