Chapter Thirty-One

The Program

Chapter Thirty-One

While Annie talked with her own mother, this time on a phone, Bridget set up a way for her Annie's mom to be escorted to John's house with the rest of our families. 

I could hear Annie blubbering out the story of what was going on, saying in certain areas that she would have to explain later and that everything that was happening was for her protection. 

Jack was still upstairs. I wanted to go up and comfort him, but John had stopped me already. "Just give him some space," He had told me. "It's a lot to take in all in the same day. We'll tell him about his mom later."

Assuming he was right at that moment, I nodded and listened to him. But now it was five minutes later and I was stepping on the stairs and not caring what John said. I opened the way out once I got up there.

The old house was still the same old, rustic looking place I saw when we pulled up the first time. Jack wasn't inside, so I went out, checking to see if he was there. He was, on the steps actually. So, I sat, not saying anything.

"She would've liked you, Lexi." I turned to him as he spoke, resting my hand on his. He had been crying, that much was for sure as the dried tears still marked his cheeks. "At least one of my parents would have."

"Jack," I began but he started talking again.

Clearly, he wanted to say more. "Just let me say something before you go any further." I did a soft 'okay' and he continued. "I've never talked much about my mom to anyone. Or my dad for that matter. Now I definitely don't want to talk about him. But I just never felt the need to bring it up to anyone, you know? I didn't need anyone to see I was broken because I already knew I was, I didn't need to be reminded.

"Mom was so great. She would always make these cookies when I was feeling sad or whatever, saying sweets would brighten my mood." He clutched my hand and turned to me too. I went closer to him, our shoulders touching. "I never thought I would lose her. Then, that stupid fire. I always knew there was something iffy going on there. It was too different, seemed too planned out. And now it all makes sense."

"Jack, I-"

"They took my mom from me, Lexi." He choked out. "They killed my mom."

I had to swallow a lump in my throat as he leaned his head on my shoulder, his tears covering my shirt. My hands wrapped around him and held him close. "I-I have something to tell you, Jack."

When he brought his face up, his eyes were bloodshot and wet. "Is it similiar to the last thing you told me? Because if it is I really don't want to hear it right now."

"Your mother's alive, Jack." I said. His mood changed slightly.

"What?"

"They used her as leverage against Reid." I further said. "I don't know if she still is alive, but she didn't die the day of the fire."