Chapter Twenty-Seven

The Program

Chapter Twenty-Seven

There were chairs in front of us. They looked uncomfortable and hard. But Natalie gestured for me and John to sit, saying it was time to test certain aspects of our compatibility. It took me awhile to completely accept the idea, only doing exactly as I was told once Bridget brought up Jack again.

"Just relax," She told me. "We just need to do a few tests and then you can go see Jack."

I still didn't trust her, but she seemed to be all that I could turn to, considering her not letting me go and all. "Okay."

Leaning back in the chair, the cushion actually softer than it looked, I watched as Natalie started attaching wires to me, Bridget doing so to John. "You'll need to do the same steps that you do to disrupt during this process," Natalie instructed. "It won't affect anything because you're not in the test, but we'll need that data."

"I thought you said she might not be trustworthy," I pointed out. "Why are you helping so willingly?"

"Because," She responded. "She didn't hurt Annie, nor has she done anything to Jack yet. We need to keep it that way."

I nodded, doing as I was told next when Natalie said to close my eyes. I felt a sharp prick in my skin, my arm having an awful shooting pain. When I opened my eyes though, nothing was there. "What was that?"

"We're simulation certain feelings and pains that you underwent during the first test you were in," Bridget said. She was now wearing glasses, her dark skin looking almost sickly under the light. "We just did the time when Luke's hand went through you, but you should be feeling a tickling in your arm right about now. It's supposed to simulate the feel of the mark as it appeared."

I didn't feel it and I said so. "How does that help with our compatibility?"

"We're trying to find out all that we can about you two," Natalie told me. "All we know is that you are compatible, we don't why. So, we're running every test we can that we don't have a reason not to run."

"I have a question." John piped in. "We don't have to kiss again, right? It's not exactly pleasant."

"Hey!" I turned my head while still laying down. "It's not like I enjoyed it either."

John huffed. "Well, sorry then. Don't need to be a baby about it."

"I'm not-"

"Could you two possibly quit talking?" I heard Annie ask nearby. She had been put in front of the computer to watch as the data appeared on the screen. "I can't get an accurate reading on anything while you're yapping."

"It was a simple question, Annie." John pointed out, huffing and rolling his eyes.

She walked over to him, flicking him on the forehead which made him flinch and let out a groan. "And it's one i'll give you an answer to. Listen carefully so you can fully understand," She grabbed his collar, John looking the tiniest bit terrified by her action, and I held back a laugh. "No, you aren't kissing Lexi again. It's not needed. We have the test results we need regarding that area already, Natalie filed everything from when you two were in the test on that subject. Out here, a kiss between you two would not even affect these tests we're doing now. So, quit worrying about whether or not you'll be kissing her again. Was that the answer that you wanted?"