Chapter Twenty-Two

The Program

Chapter Twenty-Two

John didn't seem to know what to do, and frankly, neither did I. No matter what we did, Reid or his boss would see us and be one step ahead.

Yet, there was nothing stopping us from doing what we had to do.

Not another bear, or flying creatures. No stinging wasps the size of our fists, or other crazy monsters. Everything instead was quiet, calm.

It was unnerving.

"Okay, one more practice session and then we can try to revive the test." John said. "I mean, I don't know how to do any of this, it would make me feel better if I tried one more time before we do something that we don't even know if it's possible."

John was biting at his nails. "Don't worry," I told him, pulling down my shirt as it had recently decided to ride up a bit. "it's possible."

"Yeah," John rolled his eyes. "Right. Weren't you the one who warned me that it might not?"

"Well, i've been recently informed otherwise." I deadpanned, turning my face in the opposite direction. 

But I already knew what was coming. "Um, heh?" I heard him ask, me tilting my head the slightest bit around again and slyly smiling.

"Uh, Yeah." I began. "You see, Annie -well, she um, she told me it would work last night." I rushed out.

John looked as if he was concerned for me when I said it, his eyes wide open and his mouth hanging a bit. He then raised his hand, almost as if he was going to say something but stopped. When he finally did speak, he said this, "Not that I don't believe you, little ms, I spoke to a girl who's not here," He shook his head for a moment then rubbed the back of his neck. "But how, um, how exactly did you speak to Annie?"

"She came to me in a dream."

"Lexi, really?"

"It was a dream that Natalie put her into, okay? I don't know how it works. I just went with it." I defended.

"Oh yeah, and what if it was Reid playing with your mind?" He yelled. "What else was said in this dream, huh?"

"Could you quit screaming at me. It was Annie, okay? You don't have to believe me, but it was her." I said, then mumbled, "And she may have mentioned something about you seeing her when you kissed me."

"Oh."

I bit my lip and then pursed them, snapping my tongue against the roof of my mouth with a pop. "Yeah," I waited a fraction of a second before adding, "Natalie made you see her, she wanted us to kiss."

"Oh, well, that's very Mary-ish of her." He gritted his teeth. "Why exactly, you know, did she want that?"

"Because we're compatible and she knew we were gonna die soon or something, so to say us she made us kiss so we could revive the test a little bit thus reviving ourselves some. I don't know, it's in some file Annie was talking about." I told him. "Let's just ask them when we get out of here."

"Anything else I need to know about?"

I pretended to ponder over it. "Annie knows you have a crush on her." At this, John put his head in his hands and groaned.

"Let me guess, Natalie told her?" I nodded. "How did Annie take it?"

"I'm sorry," I smiled jokingly. "It's official girl code that when info like that is shared it is not to be given to the person talked about." John's face fell. "Aw, but screw girl code. She hinted at the fact that she has a crush on you too."