Chapter 19 - Parenthood

The birth of my son was one of the happiest days of my life, besides my wedding

The birth of my son was one of the happiest days of my life, besides my wedding. Holding him, bathing him, feeding him. It was the best in the world. Whatever he did, was fantastic. I was obsessed with him. Dy was too. We were constantly talking about him when he was asleep, constantly both watching him when he was awake. He was so perfect and looked so much like Dy's father. The dark almost black eyes and the high cheekbones. The plump lips and the button nose.

I was laying in bed with him. I held my hand above him, and he'd reach out, grabbing my fingers. When he got a hold of one, he laughed and stuck it in his mouth.

"Gods, how is he this cute?" I asked and glanced up at my wife.

"Honestly, I have no idea. But he's the cutest baby in the world. No one can disagree with that." She smiled and put her hand on his round belly. He was a fat and happy little boy. As all children should be.

"Mikaal. You're the cutest baby in the world," I said to my son and he smiled, kicking his little legs a little.

We spent a lot of time in bed with him. Took him on strolls in the gardens in a small stroller so he'd nap. He didn't sleep too well, but even that didn't bother me much. Of course, I was exhausted all the time, but it was nothing compared to the exhaustion I had gone through during the war. This was the best kind of exhaustion because it was a happy one. And I knew it'd end eventually. When Mikaal was older he'd sleep through the night, and while I did look forward to that, I also didn't. I wanted him to grow up, but at the same time I didn't. I wanted him to be this small and simple forever.

Quinn grimaced and rubbed his temples

"You alright?"

His eyes were closed still. "Can't always block the voices," he murmured and waved his hand in front of his face. He opened his eyes and looked at me. "Do you ever lose control like this?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I cough. Smoke spreads like when the throne room was blown up. And I feel phantom pain in my right hand." I raised my roprosthetic and moved fingers a bit. "Dy knows how to calm me down though. It's just all in my head." I pointed to my temple.