Chapter 14 - It Starts

I gripped the bars harder in my hands

I gripped the bars harder in my hands. The metal in my roprosthetic creaked a little. Huck glanced a little nervously at me.

"You alright?" he asked.

"Yes."

He didn't exactly look convinced, but I didn't care. I wasn't alright. The closer we got to Andahavn, the more I felt my powers subside. I had unlocked another layer in Bursaaq, but it didn't seem to matter much here. Not with the block.

"You ready with the canons?" Dy asked as she stepped in beside me, looking over at Huck.

"Yeah, they're ready. Regin is manning one, I'll man the other. We should have it covered on this aircraft anyways. The others have equally as good shooters. And you'll handle the evacuated people on the ground, right?"

"Yes, we've got it covered. I'll get off once we land and you and Al take back to the sky." She glanced at me. "And you will what?"

"Wait for the block to be broken and then I'll enter the castle. Find Quinn and his family, team up with Barr and get my brother out."

Dy pulled me close. "It won't be long. Tomorrow this is all over and we're done. Yeah? We'll be done."

I pressed my face to her chest and nodded. I just needed today over with and then I could finally sleep in my own bed. My actual own bed. In my own room. Wear my own clothes. Use my own products for my skin and hair. Just the thought of wearing my own socks was almost too much. I just wanted to go home.

We landed and dropped Dy and most of the ground soldiers off. I desperately wanted to go with her. It didn't seem logical that I'd go back into the sky, but then she pointed out I could actually see everything from up there. And once the block was destroyed, I could use my smoke to get to Quinn immediately.

Back in the air again. It was like everything just happened around me without me actually noticing. I needed to focus on feeling the block disappear.

Alarms went off. The evacuation alarms. Airhorns. I pulled myself out of my head and looked down. People were flocking towards the temples where they'd be met by our troops and then guided towards the harbour. From there they'd get picked up by the Kabiran navy and could comfortably watch the city get sacked. Dy was down there with them all, making sure all the citizens got out safely. The less casualties we'd get, the better.

"Do you feel anything?" Huck asked, glancing at me.

"Not yet. You see any aeroplanes yet?"

"Actually no. I'm worried that isn't a good sign."

I frowned a little. This couldn't be good.

The alarms were blaring

The alarms were blaring. They had been placed by the stronghold, so they'd be at the highest point of the city, but I had never heard them before. They were so loud. But it was also a perfect cue for Barr and me to get going.

"You stay here, you stay with the kids," I said to Islo.

"No, Quinn, you're not going alone," he protested, cradling our son to his chest.

"You need to protect the kids, Islo. Alright? I need to go." I kissed his forehead and backed away.

"Quinn, please." He looked so desperate.

"Do as I say. Just for once, Islo, please." I couldn't believe I had to plead with him over this.

"Quinn, we do not have time," Barr said, interfering. "Islo, protect the children. We need to destroy the block, and there are too many stairs. I do not want to carry you down them."

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the apartment before I even got a chance to say anything. Islo didn't look very happy but he didn't protest. I sent him one final look and then followed Barr. Soldiers were everywhere, running back and forth, along with servants. No one really paid us no mind, but I couldn't figure out if they were just all like rats jumping a sinking ship, or if it was Barr's doing.

It didn't really matter, anyways. We needed to get to the catacombs. We rushed down the stairs, taking two steps at a time. I was about to fall, but Barr grabbed my hand and steadied me. I felt something in my chest, knowing it must've been the connection. It was growing stronger.

We came to my father's coffin but didn't stop this time. We simply didn't have the time. Finally, we came to the back room, where the block was placed. It was a stone arch decorated with old runes. The runes were lighting up, and almost flickered when Barr put his hand on it.

He glanced back at me. "It might not be comfortable when I destroy it."

"Then don't," said a cold voice from the dark. A flame from a lighter lit up Dreki's face as he lit his cigarette, stepping out of the shadows and into the light from our torches.

"As if I'd listen to anything you say," I spat back, taking a step forward.

"Quinn, you moron. Do you know what'll happen if you destroy this?" He patted the block.

"I do," Barr said and slowly changed into his real form. "Hello. I am Barr. I am Quinn's spirit." He flashed his most friendly smile for a second and then his face turned serious again. "You are a very vile person." He lifted his hand, but I put mine on his wrist.

"Don't kill him. He needs to stand trial."

Barr glanced at me and gave me a nod before looking back at Dreki. "You are lucky Quinn is a better person than me."

Dreki snorted. "You're not." The gun was in his hand before I fully registered it. It went off when I finally realised what he had in his hand. It was all instinct. My hands flew up and an invisible wall slammed Dreki back.

The runes on the block lit up fully and then cracks spread lightning fast across the stone. It crumpled loudly and everything became too much. Voices overpowered me, making it feel like my head split right open. I fell to my knees and screamed, trying to deafen out the noise, but it was impossible. I wanted everything to disappear.