Persephone shakes her head. "No, he was nice to me. He tried to make me laugh."

I sigh with a smile.

Knowing Seth's personality, he's childish and can get close to kids like his niece and nephews. But with Persephone's age, I doubt he would treat her like a small child.

"Terry, can I ask you something?"

I shift my body, facing her. "Sure."

"Why are you hiding that you're a girl?" She yells out. "Everyone here knows except Seth."

When I changed the dress to boy clothes, she wanted to ask, but I stopped her from saying anything.

I don't know much about kids. So, it's okay for me to answer her question. As I look into her eyes, I feel like she is curious. Especially me dressing up like a man when I'm a woman.

I pull a wry smile. "Well, there are secrets that I, as an adult, can't reveal. And as for Seth not knowing...I don't want him to know the real Terry."

Persephone's brows furrow. "What do you mean?"

I open my mouth when the doors open, and Seth appears carrying bags of the food he went and bought.

"Hey, Terry," he smiles for a while until he pulls up a frown. "Aren't you supposed to be in bed, Mister?"

"I only took a power nap. I only came here to check on Persephone, right?" I glance at the little girl and gesture to help me out.

"Yeah," she smiles and ducks her head down, avoiding eye contact. She is still not used to Seth. "I asked Terry to stay with me." Then she looks up at me.

Seth put the food on the table nearby, then took the chair, placed it next to the bed, and looked at me with wide eyes.

I shrug with a chuckle. "It looks like I'm this child's favorite."

Seth pouts, making both Persephone and I laugh. "I had a hard time getting at least a word from her, but you - already got a full sentence. Ow, I'm in pain." He places a hand over his heart, pretending to be in pain. I roll my eyes at him.

"Stop being a drama Queen," I scoff.

That's when Persephone surprises us when she reaches Seth's hand but keeps her head ducked down. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. It's just...you already know what I have been through. Terry, sh- I mean, he saved me. He's the first adult I have ever trusted. Terry is different from other adults who wanted to hurt me. I'm not used to this kindness before. So, sorry if I don't open up."

"It's cool, kid," Seth reaches and rubs her head. "It takes time."

My heart softened, and I felt verbally in pain for her. I understand where she is coming from. The Order is like a cage. The only way out is to risk it or lose your life. Once you are in the Order you have to obey, disobey you will be brutally punished. You can't hit the girls' faces because no one wants to buy them ugly. The boys aren't as important; they are either used to working for the Order or, as babies, they are sold and purchased at the black market.

I lower my head and claw my pants so tight I can see white color on my knuckles.

The Order. Eva. Hugo. All of those fuckers. I will annihilate them all!

My head is filled with rage and anger. I just remembered where I was when I heard his voice.

"Terry?"

I blink and return to my senses as I hear Seth's calming voice through my ears. I look up at both him and Persephone with concerned expressions on their faces.

"You okay?"

I release my pants, straighten my back, and brush my hair back, exhaling.

"Nothing," I shake my head and pull up a reassuring smile as if nothing happened. I glance at Persephone. "Hungry?"

She smiles. "I'm starved."

He looks at Seth as he grabs the food bag and sets up the table. Persephone follows, takes the chair, and holds the burger from Seth.

I couldn't understand how his voice can soothe my body. Just when he called me as I was about to go insane, it was like he broke a curse. Having him with me and helping out with Persephone makes my heart flutter. I kept my eyes on Seth and Persephone the whole time as they got to know each other. Although the child said it would take time for her to open up to a stranger like Seth, she had already gotten used to his presence here. It seems Seth has that effect on people with his charm.

I got the effects on me, too.

Recollecting the question Persephone had asked me about me hiding my gender from Seth. I want to explain to her that if he knew who the honest Terry is and how a monster she is in murdering her child.

What will he think of me? Will he think I'm a monster too?

My mind has been filled with those questions every day ever since I met Seth. I don't want him to know about my past. I don't want him to see the real me. The real Terry Young from the past.