• 37 •

Aditi's sadness didn't fade away like the night. She wondered if Karan actually loved Preeti. What if she was never in the picture? She hated the image of Karan and Preeti together. She was jealous and angered by the fact that they'd actually look perfect together. She balled up and dumped the tshirt in her suitcase instead of folding it and putting it in.

She no longer knew what she actually wanted. She definitely wanted some space from Karan. At the same time, she didn't want Preeti to get to him again. What if Preeti managed to brainwash him. What if he suddenly realized that he didn't love Aditi but he loved Preeti? They had been the best of friends from years after all. It messed up big time with her mind.

"Aditi,"

She took a deep breath and turned to him.

"Umm, your clothes that I need to take back home... you can place them in this suitcase," he said pointing to the suitcase he had opened on the carpet.

"Yeah!"

"Or, if it's something you're not likely to wear you could probably leave in the cupboard here."

"Hmm,"

He stared at her. "Do you want a helping hand?"

"No, I can manage."

"Okay," He mumbled. Since the morning Aditi seemed too occupied with her thoughts, keeping to herself, barely talking. Karan hadn't brought up the last night again. This entire long distance had never bothered him so much as in the present moment. He didn't want to part ways, especially when things between them were so messed up. 

"Aditi, about last night."

"I had to give this to Nisha, I will be back!" Saying that Aditi grabbed something from the side table and walked out of the room. Karan sighed. She wasn't ready to talk it out yet. He walked out of the room and reached downstairs. 

He was stumped on seeing Preeti in the drawing room talking to his mother. His gaze swiped up to his wife who stood beside Nisha, her eyes on him. What was Preeti doing here? A loud alarm rang in his head. Preeti's gaze looked up at him. She looked as uncomfortable and shocked as he was in the moment.

"There he is!" His mother said. "Preeti just came.." his mother said with a smile. 

"Hi!" Karan managed a friendly smile.

"Hey, I didn't know you were here." She said softly. A look at her and Karan knew she wasn't lying.

"Yeah, we we're actually here for Aditi's cousin's wedding."

"You all sit, let me get some snacks."

"Aunty, no. I need to get going." Preeti spoke up quickly.

"You just came. I was making samosas give me a few minutes and they'll be ready." His mother said.

"Next time, Aunty. I just came to meet you, since I was around. Anyway, there's a lot of packing I need to do."

"It would be so nice of you stayed longer, beta." Senior Mrs. Shenoy said, wrapping her arms around Preeti with motherly affection.

Aditi had to keep herself from crying. This hurt. The mother son duo seemed to have a lot of space in their heart for Preeti. She could feel Karan's gaze drift towards her time and again. She picked up little Laksh who had crawled upto her. He probably understood that she needed a distraction. 

"Mumma," the little boy cooed, looking around with a curious gaze. Aditi turned, noticing that Nisha wasn't around.

"Mumma isn't around," she said softly, her gaze moving towards the doorway where her mother-in-law had walked Preeti to.