• 33 •

"Where were you? I have been looking for you." Karan remarked as he finally found Aditi sitting by the pool where the previous day's function had taken place instead of being in the lawn where the lunch was being served.

His eyes noticed the serious expression on Aditi and her sister. 

"I will catch you two later," Ruchi mumbled before walking away. 

Karan looked at her retreating figure and then at Aditi's grim face. He pulled a chair closer to hers and sat beside her. "All okay?"

Aditi looked away.

Karan had learned to have patience when it came to Aditi. He silently held her hand and waited for her to share her mind. After a few minutes passed, she looked at him.

"What happened?" He asked noticing the spur expression on her face.

"I caught her talking on the phone."

Karan stared at her, waiting for her to go on.

"She was practically begging a guy to not leave her."

Karan wasn't sure what to say. Aditi looked pissed and he didn't want to counter her, at least not right now. 

"All the money ... she had an abortion. How stupid have I been? And she doesn't think that's wrong. She's lost her mind."

Karan let out a sigh. "Relax,"

"Relax, how? Papa and Maa will be so upset if they find out. Just put it together... she liked a guy, slept with him and now he doesn't give a damn and she went for an abortion to just win him back. Her whole career is ahead of her. Papa had taken a loan to get her that medical seat because she wanted to be a doctor. I try and contribute as much as I can to her expenses so that Papa doesn't have to worry much and this what she does? And after it all, she argued with me." 

Karan held on to her hand, looking at her. Sometimes he couldn't relate to her at all, but he could understand how she felt. She was fierce and took responsibility of things on her own when it came to her family. He felt too small at times before her. He knew it was best to not speak anything in Ruchi's defense even if he wanted to. Ruchika had made a mistake, no doubt, but she had a life of her own. She was an adult. 

"It'll all be okay..."

"How Karan? Papa is going to be so...upset. it will look like I sent her the money to cover her abortion. And you know what she said... when I told her that her primary aim should be her career to pay Papa back.  She said that Papa took the loan to bear the expenses of my wedding. I can't.." her voice trailed off and tears rolled down her cheeks. 

"Hey," Karan moved closer hugging her, pulling her face to his chest. "It's okay, Aditi. You don't have to be upset over this."

"I bore the expenses of everything, Karan. That was the only condition I had put before Papa when the wedding discussion was happening. It was all my earnings that Papa spent and we even argued about this back then. It was just the gold that I wore that I allowed Papa to spend for. The rest was, what your family spent. This is not fair!" She sobbed, holding on to him tightly.

Karan had never felt so small. He obviously didn't know that whatever was spent on the wedding from Aditi's family's side had been Aditi's own earnings. It made him proud, but at the same time made him realize how little he was before her. All the expenses were borne by his father, his clothes and everything was arranged by Arjun. Karan took a deep breath caressing her back.

"She's still young and immature, she'll learn with time, Aditi."

Aditi pulled away wiping her tears. He fished out his handkerchief from his pocket and held it for her to take. She took it and wiped her tears.