• 26 •

Aditi had taken an off from work for Thursday and Friday. Her manager had request her to spend an hour per day to keep track of the progress to which Aditi had readily agreed.

Aditi had taken the early evening flight to Mumbai, on Wednesday itself. She had surprised her parents arriving a day prior to what she had told them. Well, technically, it was Karan's idea to fly on Wednesday evening and spend some time with them. 

The hustle bustle of Mumbai roads was still the same. Most of Aditi's relatives lived in the same colony. The last minute toing-and-froing at home, the frequent up and down of aunties to discuss trivial things, her cousins playing, teasing, dancing, chattering with the bride — Deepali, her second cousin from the paternal side; created a charged atmosphere around. Aditi was taken back to her own wedding time. Albeit, she felt way more relaxed than she had felt back then.

She spent most of the time sticking around her mother. She was sure some of her cousins wouldn't have even noticed she had come. She had always been the one to blend with the background. Her mother was a powerhouse of energy, the woman didn't get tired running about, making snacks for everybody. 

"Maa," Aditi called entering the kitchen. She tied up her hair into a bun and quickly washed her hands. "You sit here," she said, gesturing to the stool. "I will fry the samosas."

"Offo, Aditi. It's nothing. You sit here and tell me how are things in Bangalore."

"Maa, you're sitting. It's been three hours since I arrived and you haven't taken rest. Health is important, Maa. Marriages will come and go. You don't have to exert yourself."

Her mother sat on the stool, a sigh escaping her lips. "Aditi, don't be silly. A marriage in the family means work for every member. Anyway it's a matter of a few days. During your wedding, all the aunties were doing the work, while I sat with that beautician getting henna applied. Now it's my turn to work."

"Okay, okay, but that doesn't mean you work like a robot. Humans don't work like that."

"Anyway, you tell me. How is Karan?"

"Gives me headaches at times." Aditi mused, gently slipping the samosa wrap into the boiling oil.

"If I spoke about your dad like that, within a year of marriage, your grandmother would have given me and earful."

Aditi chuckled.

"He's a nice man, you're lucky."

Aditi's gaze was fixated on the samosa. A forgotten irritation slowly began appearing. She had heard this phase a lot during her engagement and wedding too. 'You're lucky.' She never heard anyone say, Karan's lucky to get her. They all didn't shy away from saying Gagan was lucky to get Deepali. Then why that unfair treatment to her?

"Maybe, I am after all." She mumbled, thoughtfully.

"What happened? Are you not happy?" Her mother asked, concern lined her mother's voice.

She tossed a reassuring gaze towards her mother. "Nothing like that. We are happy." She smiled.

As soon as she turned back back the pan, momentarily, his recent confession about his past with Preeti, floated right before her.

"He's a nice guy, isn't he? Keeps everyone happy, there is never a dull moment with him."

Aditi smiled, agreeing to that mentally, while fishing out the golden colored samosa. She was putting in the next when her mother spoke up. "When will you move back to Pune?"

"I don't know for sure. After two months, mostly."

"Is he okay with that?" 

Aditi turned around giving her mother a plate of samosa and chutney. "You haven't eaten anything since I came." She said.