Chapter 57 - Boredom

Start from the beginning

But pushing those random thoughts to the back of his mind for the moment, he walked up to the bed room door. Turned the knob and stepped out into the hall and after that he spent the next fifteen minutes traveling the interior of the mansion aimlessly. He ran his fingers across the aged, if spotless walls, counted the candles and windows, and stayed far away from any of the closed doors that he happened to encounter.

He soon discovered that the floor he had woken up on was the second in the three story mansion and that the halls were built in a large rectangular square, with two to four different doors built along the sides.

And as he traveled the full circle of that, he came to a cut in the hall that lead out into an open area, where railing and a giant spiraling staircase sat, branching up one way towards the third flood and another way down towards the bottom floor. Hard wood and thick carpet made up slid steps. And because Brandon had no escort, and he already knew what was down the steps, he decided to go up to the third flood just to peak around.

And as it turned out, the peaking was fairly short. Because as Brandon steeped up to the third floor he came across a small hall leading to nothing but two very large, beautifully engraved doors which sported the dual image of leopards. Feeling like he had come to a forbidden place Brandon soon turned and made his way back down the steps feeling the far too life like eyes engraved in the wood following him as he walked away.

But Brandon soon found himself on the bottom step, on the bottom floor and as the sound of voices floated over to him he forgot all about the eyes and went to investigate. He went to his left and followed the voices back into a room that he had been in only a few days ago.

The tiles and counter tops were as pristine as he remembered seeing them before, and all traces of blood or medicine that may have been spilled were nowhere to be found and instead of evidence of his previous activities in that room Brandon discovered three familiar faces.

In the corner of the room, sitting at two opposite side of the dining table, which was covered with a white table cloth and half eaten plates of food sat both Glen and Mantilo and opposite them sat a slightly familiar man, with a scar over his eye, piercings and a set of eyes in his head that were each a different color, making him look nearly blind in one eye as it was nearly as black as coal, while the other eye was as white as a pearl with a black pupil.

Of course Brandon recognized Glen, whose small stature, bouncy light brown curls, and vibrant voice rang out in the room before him and Brandon didn't think he could forget Mantilo, who sat like a mountain beside his wife, with a thick braid of black hair draped over his shoulder, and sharp angled features turned to her in attention.

But it took Brandon a moment to realize that the third man was another of Ezekiels brothers and one that he had already meet nearly a week ago.

Not one for shyness Brandon soon made his way over to the Shifters and wasn't surprised when Mantilo, who had his large back turned to the doorway, was the first of the Shifters too acknowledge him. Although his words were less then accommodating when he spoke.

"Boy....when one enters a room they are expected to announce themselves...." Mantilo rumbled in a deep voice that was perfectly at home with the hard face that he turned on Brandon. "The least you could say to the people feeding you is "Good morning."

Brandon stared at the large man, partially wanting to lick his tongue out at him like a child, but mostly wanting to know why the Shifter insisted on calling him "Boy."

But not wanting to cause another incident Brandon nodded his head looked at the rest of the Shifters gathered and mumbled a quick "Good morning."