Chapter 22 - Chase

Chapter 22 - Chase

Soft, warm light hit him, and suddenly, he was standing in a hallway. A burgundy hallway, filled with soothing candlelights and carpet as thick and just as lush as the rooms he had just run from. The hall branched to the left and right of him, and Brandon struggled not to dry heave into the ground as the world tried to tilt all around him.

He was shaking. He was hurt. He couldn't breathe.

He had to move!

Brandon stumbled to the left and tried to run, but he didn't even get a chance.

"Hey, stop!!" Suddenly, there was a hand around his wrist, and Brandon was jerked back, nearly lifted off of his feet and into a wall of warmth. "Gotcha!"

Brandon struggled feebly to get free for a few seconds, but no matter how he turned his weak wrist, the Stranger wasn't letting go. With an indignant jerk that threw him off balance more than the Stranger he finally looked at him.

"Let me...." He began to bite off through his teeth, and then he just trailed off.

The eyes. That stole the breath from him and took the words from his tongue. Two sharp blue globes slashed open with solitary bright black slits. Animal eyes. Unnatural eyes.....Beautiful eyes. And the rest of the Stranger wasn't anything to ignore. He had a solid round chin and face, a firm mouth and a rounded nose that was a little pointed.

He had long arms, legs and a wide torso, all of it was thick with strength. His arms were corded with lean muscle, and he had a lethe definition beneath the thin black tee that stretched over his chest and stomach. His shoulders were simple and robust, and he wore a thick pair of sweats over his hips. The material rode low on his slim lower body, the rim of his boxer showing through and giving Brandon a nice view of the man's epic v-cut. Brandon looked away before the man thought that he was trying to look anywhere else. The strange man outstood Brandon by three good inches, so he estimated that the man was at least six feet tall. Medium-length dirty blond hair, not unlike Brandon's, was pushed back on his scalp and behind his ears.

The back of it just barely brushed the nape of his neck. And all while Brandon looked him over, those blue eyes did the same to him. But unlike Brandon, this Stranger didn't look anywhere but his face.

Brandon felt his hand in the man's grasp and tried to pull away. "Let me...." He began, but the man cut him off.

"Go?" The Stranger finished for him as he pulled on his wrist, and Brandon couldn't ignore the strength in his grip. "I'm sorry, I can't do that. Besides, what are you even trying to do? You won't get far in your current condition......" The Stranger sighed, his mesmerizing gaze shifting from Brandon's face to his forehead, where Brandon was just beginning to feel a ticklish trickle running down his forehead and over his left cheek.

The Stranger smiled at him, and Brandon had to catch his breath. He stepped back from the man....Was he just an ordinary man? And he tried to twist free. The man watched him, his strange slit, sharp gaze racking across his face and then suddenly softening as they settled on Brandon's upper forehead. "Damn, you're bleeding again."

The gentleness in his eyes. In his voice.....confused him. A moment ago, Brandon had been sure that this man was going to strangle him, and now the Stranger looked like he was sad about his cut? His slit eyes went from steel to soft in seconds. Did something so predatory and yet strangely beautiful really exist....or was he still dreaming?

The Stranger touched his chin and tried to pull him closer. "Hmm. I think I can close that up myself..." He said to Brandon, his touch a shock that finally managed to wake him up.