Chapter 10: In Action

Carina's point of view

Seeing maya in action and how calm she was it was hard to focus but I had to for the mama. Now that they were safe and being settled in I was free for a few. "Maya would you like a shower? I have on in my office and with all the smoke I thought you might want one." "That would be nice, I do need to but I don't have any clothes for after and these are so sweaty." She said pointing at sweat stains. "I bet that gear looks heavy and hot." She swallowed hard, "it is. Let me call Andy she will bring me some extra clothes. Once she's here I'll take a shower. In the meantime I'll begin some paperwork. Could I use your office for some quiet? I usually do it in the working conference room with interns." "Yes absolutely, you can use it anytime. Shall we?" I motioned inside. We walked quietly to my office and I closed the door. I started to go over to maya but Dr. Bailey knocked and I opened it. "DeLuca do you know where Captain Bishop is?" I opened it wider and allowed her to come in, "yes she is right here." "Oh good! Maya, it's good to see you again." "You too Miranda how are you and the boys?" "They're great, thanks for keeping up with Warren, he loves 19." "Of course. 19 loves him." "So I have all your paperwork here if you can have it to me before You leave I'd appreciate it. Will you be working in here with Carina?" "Yes, she offered the space and I appreciate it being quiet." "With how often you're here that's great. Let me know if you need anything but I won't take up any more of your time. You've got a lot to do." She left waving at maya and raising her eyebrows at me. I closed the door and took a deep breath. "Carina; are you okay?" "Yes, I mean: I don't know. Pretending not to know you was hard. There and here. I don't like it." "Then let's not pretend anymore." "How?" "Let's tell the people I work with. Dinner is at 7 at the firehouse, do you want to come and meet my team?" I smiled, "maya I would love that. It's not too soon for you?" She walked over and wrapped her arms around my waist. "Normally I would run if I felt like this. But I feel safe with you. I want to fall in love with you and allow you to love me. I want to have a future and run to you not away. I know this is new but I feel so connected to you." A small tear escaped and she wiped it away with a kiss. "Maya I want that too. I want you. All of you." I kissed her and wrapped my arms around her neck. She got a phone call pulling us out of our kiss. "Andy." She walked a few steps away and had her conversation. "Andy is here with my clothes and lunch for us.... Can she come up?" "Or couse, do you want me to stay?" "If you have time. Andy has been my best friend and my person since the academy. She knows about you and I'd love for her to meet you." I smiled, "yes I have time and would love to meet her." Soon a Knock was at the door. Maya got up to answer it, "hey Andy come in:" "maya what are you doing in hot Italian doctors office?!" "Andy!" She said to stop her from saying anything else embarrassing. I laughed. "You must be Andy. I guess I am hot Italian doctor." Andy laughed and pulled me in for a hug and maya looked so embarrassed but did laugh. "I'm carina DeLuca, but please call me Carina." "Alright, I'm Andy Herrera. I've heard you've been stealing my girl away lately." She said as she pulled out lunch for all of us. "I have. I love to hang out with maya and get to know her more. She's really great." "Oh I know. So tell me about you." We talked and laughed and I could tell Andy was an amazing person. After lunch maya walked Andy out and came back with clothes. "Okay, I would love a shower and then a coffee." "Why don't we both take a shower and then grab coffee so you can start your paperwork. I have a surgery later that I have paperwork and prep for too." She smirked, "together?" "Yeah. We don't have to have sex but I do want to be close to you and I feel gross." She pulled my hand into the bathroom and helped me out of my clothes. We washed and did kiss but didn't have sex. I feel closer to her with that and love to be near her. We got dressed and went to grab coffee before beginning paperwork.