Chapter 21- A discord

Start from the beginning

Wolff was beside him, trying to calm the hot-tempered boy, his quest in vain. I and Jenni stayed behind unsure of what to do with a royal fight happening right now.

"And do what? Berate the Empress, my mother? Are you so clueless Cedric that you don't realise that if this turns into a scandal is not my Mother who suffers? Hardly would be Odette either. Lucreatia has been caught uninvited to the Empress castle! While it is true that it was dealt with excessive force, she is still a trespasser!" Francis took his friends arm from him and walked to the side to breathe a little and recover his composure.

"And you mean to say it's Lulu's fault?!" Exclaimed Cedric, ready to go closer to the other prince, being stopped by a now forceful Wolff.

"No, just that this is how they would tell the story. In here the weakest will be the one turned to the fire." The golden eyes, intense, stared to those equally strong scarlet eyes, in a show of strength that really did not compute with their young age.

"I have doubts the duke would let that happen!!" Replied Cedric finally free of Wolff, but still in place.

"Yes which means he goes after the weakest link of us... he would find out what we have been doing lately and blame it on Wolff. See where I get at!?" Francis exploded and turned his glance to Wolff, sighing loudly.

I was going to go there to stop this nonsense, instead, a hand covered mine and two blue eyes pleaded with me. It caught me by surprise, however, before I could ask Jenni, I heard Cedric's angry and low voice.

"... Are you telling me to shut up to save my friend? To let my other friend suffer while the other gets to be safe of punishment? Is that it?!" The moon prince was shaking, this was causing a fit of anger in him that I did not like.

"I didn't say that!" Yelled back the other prince.

They were children and they should just worry about toys instead of such things. Fighting over this was useless and I really hated to be put in the middle of this pre-teenage shit... imagine when they arrive at that age... it would be hormones everywhere. ahhhh!

"Stop it! Enough!!" I ordered in an angry tone myself.

Everyone stared at me with a surprised face, but at least the fight had stopped.

Jenni was still with her hand on mine, her grasp only getting worse. I took my hand gently from hers, finding some resistance, though still workable. Free, I went to the boys, decided into ending this idiocy. The work they make me do...

"You have a point, your highness, prince Francis. However, to be sincere I don't want to continue to be the pushing bag of our royal princess either, no matter how much honour it is to be associated with her." My words though calm carried an edge on them. Francis face darkened and his body became rigid.

"Punish the guard as you see fit, as long it sets the example." I continued. "We will keep it under wraps... but patience as limits and being mistreated without reason can shorten that. If this continues the Duke will know and I won't stop it from reaching his ears." My warning was given which turned the air bleak and uninviting.

"And if needed I will protect Wollf of his wrath." I concluded with a glance to Wolff, who had a baffled expression. All of them had, ones were more extreme than others.

"I will talk with Odette... and you won't need to worry about the Empress. My mother..." Francis's voice started to fail a little, which I found odd and unsettling. Cedric too seemed worried, his anger at his friend gone. "As long as you don't set foot in the palace she wouldn't do anything..."

I hardly believed such words, but Francis didn't seem to be lying. Actually, for the first time, he seemed to be like the small child that he was.

"Mother is territorial, but one would be if you..." Francis stopped talking when he met Jenni's eyes and in that split second he recovered and his composed nature returned. A cold and calculated shine was on his eyes. "I will go so I can keep my word with you. If you can excuse me..." and he started to walk away.

However, he remembered something and turned back. To me.... oh... was he going to punish me for talking back? But no, he came back and gave me the same very little bottle with holy water. And in silence, he returned to the way he was going.

As I saw him leaving, my hand absentmindedly grasped the small flask. The hard glass hurt my hand, but I couldn't care. It was all so odd... the Empress, the princess, the prince and his reaction to Jenni. And Jenni, who though still had her worried look didn't flinch at all when the prince changed his expression at the drop of the hat. Just when his eyes caught her.

As his figure disappeared on the horizon, my mind wondered how could a child feel so lonely... When I looked beside me, I noticed it was not only me questioning it. Cedric, I was sure, had the same thoughts.

Fucked up world...

That day, on our way back I pondered hard. I didn't want to tell the Duke's what happened, especially not after Francis request. I knew Jenni was eager to do it, but I made her promise under the Goddess name to keep it secret. She looked conflicted, but after several attempts to convince her, Jenni ended up accepting.

However, my mind wondered about the boy. The lifeless boy who had walked on the Empress Palace. He looked like a servant, yet something in my heart ached. I needed to tell the duke, though, I was not sure he would do much... yet he was the safest bet.

The Empress was still the Empress no matter how crazy or bitchy she sounded. Only the Duke with his mighty power could do some snooping. If not him only... Aunt Belladona. But something told me that she would not do much.

I was ready to tell the Duke something about it, invent it if needed when we were greeted with surprising news.

An attack occurred on the border of the Sun Empire.

Things are escalating!! What do you think?!

Not sure what you guys thought of the fight, but I started to think that Cedric (with his temperament) would start to question the way Francis deals with things. There are several reasons why, which I hope to share with you all, still, it was bound to bring some rift.

But what did you think? Cedric is right? Or Francis?

Did you like the chapter? It was actually fun for me to write it (though I am against friends fighting..) it brought some conflict that I enjoyed putting on paper.

There is another fight I loved to write about and is coming soon!! XD

-----//-------

Some suggestions while you wait for the next chapter:

My blog: http://andreasousa.com

My podcast (has the blog chapters): A writer's journey (on Spotify)

Do you like that I give suggestions? I always feel this space is to connect with my readers and let them know about other things that they may enjoy... I hope is not too much XD

---//----------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!