𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

HICCUP came back to the forest the next day. Last night he had a talk with his father, and today was his first dragon training lesson. He was kinda glad it was over.

"Hm," He hummed, weighing the bola with his hands.

He then moves on, entering a cove, surveying its emptiness. He finds some shiny black dragon scales on the floor and picks one up.

The Night Fury swoops past him with the girl on his back but falls back onto the ground.

Hiccup gasps and hides at the entrance before he tries to make a sketch of them.

"Pharīthī prayatna karō (Try again)." The girl commanded.

"What Language is she speaking?" Hiccup muttered with curiosity.

The Night Fury made more attempts to fly out of the cove again but failed each time.

The girl sighed and laid her head on his.

"Huh," Hiccup mumbled when he noticed something about her. "She looks fine now, no wincing or anything."

As he makes a sketch, he notices the Night Fury is missing one of its tail fins. He erases the fin on his drawing but he slips and accidentally drops his pencil, catching the Night Fury and the girl's attention. They stare up at him in recognition.

"Um, hi." He waved.

The girl narrowed her eyes and turned away from him.

Hiccup tilted his head in confusion.

///

"Alright. Where did Astrid go wrong in the ring today?" Gobber asked the teen Vikings as Hiccup entered the Meade Hall.

"I mistimed my somersault dive. It was sloppy. It threw off my reverse tumble." Astrid said.

"Yeah, we noticed," Ruffnut comments sarcastically.

"No, no, you were great. That was so "Astrid". Snotloud says.

"She's right, you have to be tough on yourselves," Gobber said while Hiccup grabs a plate of meat and began walking away. "Where did Hiccup go wrong?"

"Uh, he showed up?" Ruffnut queried.

"He didn't get eaten." Tuffnut pipes up.

"He's never where he should be." Astrid narrows her eyes.

"Thank you, Astrid. You need to live and breathe this stuff," Gobber held up the Dragon Manual. "The Dragon Manual. Everything we know about every dragon we know of," Gobber said. "Ya might even find a unique page at the end."

Thunder roars in the night sky.

"No attacks tonight. Study up." Gobber said before he left.

"Wait, you mean, read?" Tuffnut asked dumbly.

"While we're still alive?" Ruffnut asked stupidly.

"Why read words when you can just kill the stuff the words tell you stuff about?" Snotlout comments as if it was obvious.

"Oh! I've read it like, seven times. There's this water dragon that sprays boiling water at your face. And--And there's this other one that buries itself for like a week--"

"Yeah, that sounds great." Tuffnut interrupts Fishlegs. "See, there was a chance I was gonna read that..."

"But, now..." Ruffnut trailed off.

"You guys read, I'll go kill stuff." Snotlout then left.

"Oh, and there's this other one that has these spines that look like trees..." Fishlegs blabbered on while he and his friends began leaving.